·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, This is where I'm starting at:

*350 SBC 4bm - pulled from a running (but wrecked) 1988 Iroc Z

Parts to be installed:

Cams: Summit Racing (1105)
Intake: Edelbrock RPM Performer Vortec (7116)
Carb: Holley 4106 (0-80508S)
Heads: GMPP Vortec (12558060)
Exhaust: Summit Racing Headers (SUM-G9014)

The Camaro was bought for $750, so that puts the total for everything at $2200, shipped from Summit. Minus $350, for the scrap price on the Camaro for going to the junk-yard after the motor is pulled.

Bringing the total cost for this build at $1850. (Plus a few busted knuckles.)

The reason I'm starting with this motor is I rebuilt it and installed it and the new trans into the Camaro. The Camaro was rolled & totaled (by the owner, not me) after having the fresh rebuild done to the motor and trans. Lucky Me...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Sounds like a good build,, I am no master engine builder but what about the 170cc runners on those heads? I hope a more informed builder will chime in,, I wonder would a 180cc runner be a little better or not?? Thats a good price on those heads,, look on craigslist for a vortec air-gap intake,, I would guess its not a year round driver?? Let us know how it turns out,, are you going to dyno the motor?? Matty man

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
If its an original 88 block it is probably a factory roller block. If that's the case I would run another hydraulic roller instead of the flat tappet cam you listed. Heads should be OK for a street engine but you need to find out if they have been machined for higher lift camshafts. I believe stock heads are good to around .470 lift with out any machine work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the original '88 Block from the Iroc...

When the R.O. asked me to build him up one of my race motors I started with an early 70s 350 4bolt main. Threw in forged internals and ARP hardware and had the heads ported and polished. The R.O. brought me his 'custom' ground cam to install and had me bore and sleeve the block. The ported aluminum heads and TPI intake(both are now cracked) were added and Painless Wiring harness installed. Dyno'd out to 370/whp before the roll-over.

Nothing special done to it but the block is sound and it still starts...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts