El Camino Central Forum banner

Starting another dash cap project.

9K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Wayne Parrish 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok I had this dash that was given to me after I installed a dash I sold to K-Ryan that I restored. I will be taking pictures as I go along if you like to see and do yourself. I bought this cap from The El Camino Store $130.00 shipped and got it in a week. If you have the dash with the outer speakers they were only $119.00 shipped. This is the best price out there and it almost fit perfect but almost doesn't count so here we go.

This dash will probably listed for auction on E-bay to the highest bidder when I'm done. I'm not sure if I'm going to dye it or not.

First the sides need shaving to get the cap to sit down correctly then some shaving around the openings will be needed.

Wood Personal computer Comfort Hardwood Television set

Brown Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood

Dash Cap Appears Next

Kitchen appliance Kitchen Wood Home appliance Flooring

First fitting not bad.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Bumper Picture frame Wood Automotive exterior Office equipment

We got dust fingerprints on it. They will clean up later.

Automotive design Motor vehicle Machine Cassette deck Household appliance accessory

Instruments fit.

Gas Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Machine

Automotive radiator part Wood Gas Audio equipment Rectangle

Glove box looks like no shaving this time.

Office equipment Wood Machine Bumper Hardwood

I will be doing some more fitting tomorrow and will take pictures of the progress.:bigups::bigups:

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you post a pic of the dash before the cap? Just curious how much prep you have to put in it to start fitting the cap.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oh yea I just started the cap hasn't been glued on. I have more prep work to do_O.
Once I'm done and the gauges are installed and probably a head unit this will be a $700.00 + dash.

Before I started.

Hood Bumper Office equipment Automotive exterior Gas

Cabinetry Wood Drawer Automotive exterior Metal

The sides need shaving for the cap to fit right.

Luggage and bags Automotive design Bag Wood Vehicle door

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

Let's Check The Fit Of The Cap Again

Cabinetry Comfort Drawer Wood Chest of drawers

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Window Bumper

#5 ·
I did a little more work but my cameras batteries are dead so I will post pictures later.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok I shaved the sides a little more and around the stereo opening and now the cap contours to the dash with no high sides so the outside frame of the cap fits perfect where the glove box and other openings are.

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Fender Hood

Tire Hood Automotive tire Tread Wood

Motor vehicle Plant Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk

Once the cap is glued then the other stuff will line up.

Here's a test fit.:bigups:

Wood Television set Home appliance Communication Device Gadget

Wood Television set Home appliance Communication Device Gadget

Automotive tire Laptop Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Wood Office equipment Bumper Automotive exterior

I will take pictures of how I glue and clamp the cap to get a good fit.

If you don't get the cap to sit flat all the red areas wont line up or sit straight and that throws everything off so nothing lines up correctly. That's when you hear someone say theirs is o.k. but doesn't fit like they say it will in the advertisement. Nothing aftermarket fits without fabrication.

Television set Wood Audio equipment Media player Picture frame

Robert

#9 ·
Other than what you have already shaved on the dash, have you ever encountered other areas of the dash that sometimes needs to be shaved for a proper fit?

And that looks great so far!

#10 ·
That's about it. Last one I did I had to shave one corner of the glove box but I think that was my fault not getting a perfect fit. We will see today when I glue down the cap. Don't use the glue they supply you want the 3-M black adhesive. I will post pictures of everything.:bigups:

#15 ·
Thanks

I hope this helps other members to fix theirs without paying the high price of having someone else doing it.:rockon:

If this one sells like the last one I'm going to be doing a lot more and can have the dash cap sent out already dyed the color the person wants.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
You glue around the edges and openings not everywhere or the cap can't expand when hot or contract when cold causing cracking over time.

3M Black Super Weatherstrip And Gasket Adhesive

:hail: #08008 NOTHING ELSE!!!!!

Green Font Sleeve Advertising Wood

Clamp everywhere you can so the glue can contact both pieces.

Hood Office equipment Gas Breakfast sausage Machine

Automotive tire Cabinetry Automotive design Wood Flooring

Cabinetry Drawer Motor vehicle Gas Table

After drying I will go around the cap and any place not stuck down I will put some more glue and clamp it down again till all edges are glued completely down.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Needed more glue.

Wood Plant Flooring Automotive design Machine

Table Window Bicycle part Gas Machine

Furniture Air gun Shotgun Chair Gas

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
We're getting there need to paint the center vents and a couple of other things.

Almost ready for auction.:cool4:

Automotive exterior Automotive design Wood Bumper Curtain

I'll probably put a head unit and lighter in that will fill the holes so it doesn't look incomplete and more sellable.

Cabinetry Wood Countertop Floor Flooring

Not bolted in yet.

Table Wood Hardwood Window Motor vehicle

I have a better cover for just the headlight switch no wiper cutout.

Cassette deck Electronic device Hardwood Wood Audio equipment

#16 ·
Have you dyed any of the caps to a light color? If so did you like the color when done? I am curious if it starting out black makes it any harder to get it to the lighter colors.

By the way that looks great!

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
I did this one it was blue no problem and it came out nice. You can buy them already dyed the original El Camino colors I think for $25.00 more.

Wood Rectangle Hardwood Gas Flooring

I did the door panels and all the trim.

Hood Motor vehicle Car Window Automotive design

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering wheel Vehicle door

#22 ·
No just cleaned it good before putting the cap on. It's all in the shaving high spots until the cap lays down over the dash correctly without having to push on it.

#27 ·
The 3-M is the best adhesive. looks good how is it around the glove box and air vents?

#30 ·
@87next2last1 2 Apr 2023: I just found out my Adobe PhotoShop Elements allows me to open the backup Adobe PDF file. It then let me export and save images one at a time. I cropped, color corrected, and tried to enhance the lighting levels of the images. As an Admin, I was able today to replace the missing images into this thread.

@HKDUP87 did a lot of work documenting his process and it needed to be refreshed to help others. Lots and lots of images have now been added back to this thread.