El Camino Central Forum banner

Starting from scratch (which it won't even do!!)

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  black_on_black 
#1 ·
So on my 85 I keep gripping about that sad little 305 BUT I haven't even begun to look into it.
You buy a car and sometimes you just take for granted that the up keep has been done. Well before taking anything for granted you should check. So it's time to start at the beginning, basic stuff like plugs, rotor, cap, & fuel filter. I'll bet I have some more horses under the hood just by checking what should be checked from the start!!!!
As of today it chokes down when you put your foot into it and can't even spin one wheel. It does start right up and run good on just street driving but as with most of you I'm after Mo-Power!!!
So I'll keep you posted as to what I find and I know (no pictures, it never happened!!)
ALWAYS start at the beginning!!!!
Wish me luck!!:nanawrench:
Donny

#3 ·
As of today it chokes down when you put your foot into it and can't even spin one wheel. It does start right up and run good on just street driving but as with most of you I'm after Mo-Power!!!
So I'll keep you posted as to what I find and I know (no pictures, it never happened!!)
Probably the rear gears. My '85 can hardly lose grip in the rain when going straight.

#4 ·
The fraggastat is miscalibrated to the cabunction valve.

ALWAYS check that first.

#7 ·
Thump, thump, thump I got torque.

#10 ·
Hey Donny is it the origional 2.41 or 2.73 open? If it is the explains why. Those 2 are for mpg, now i have somewhere around a 3.42-3.83 and tire(s) spin like nothing. I think i have LSD because both spin off and on. Also if you have OD on your tranny. You can get more torque with a non OD tranny.

Donny the 305's were rated at 180HP@4200 rpms, and 285Lbs.@2800rpms. So that is before smog, better air flow, and getting dual exhaust with headers. Thats without getting to deep in the motor. You should easily push 220HP with headers, 2.5 duals(highflow), NO SMOG, NO CAT.CONVERTERS. And an non computer controlled carb may help.:dontknow:

Good luck Donny:beer:

Brandon

#12 ·
Donny the 305's were rated at 180HP@4200 rpms, and 285Lbs.@2800rpms. So that is before smog, better air flow, and getting dual exhaust with headers. Thats without getting to deep in the motor. You should easily push 220HP with headers, 2.5 duals(highflow), NO SMOG, NO CAT.CONVERTERS. And an non computer controlled carb may help.:dontknow:

Good luck Donny:beer:

Brandon
Just removing smog and doing exhaust getting 40 HP? That and 2.5 inch would be most likely be too big. I stand by the gears. Mine has ~2:1, no amount of motor (besides semi truck???) is going to help more than just changing gears.

#11 ·
Sounds like a carb issue.

My q-jet secondary was opening up far too soon making it stumble badly. Started and idled just fine... ran down the road just fine in steady state, but punch it and it would just about die. There's a spring tension adjustment for the secondary plate... tighten that up and it could improve a lot.

#15 ·
Hey Donny,

I tore off the smog equipment on my 305, tossed some headers and 2.5" dual exhaust with no cats. It helped a lot!

The engine has about 130k on it, and still has the computer controlled carb. I have original 3.08 posi gears and I can power brake it and spin the tires pretty good even with 235 performance tires on it. With the 205 tires on it, I can power brake them super easy now (winter tires).

Just letting you know, ditch the smog if you can, toss on headers and a nice breathing exhaust and you will pick up some easy horses right away.

Now, I am still planning on the 383, but I am going to get a new tranny and read end when I do it, so I am gonna need awhile to save!

#17 ·
Donny, forgot to add... I am running a 200 4R tranny with my setup. I get about 17 mpg combined, have gotten as high as 24 on the highway and as low as 12 in the city when I drive like a teenager (surprise surprise, that was right after I got the headers and exhaust).

It's possible to have some fun with the 305 and keep it from sucking to much gas, just nothing like the Yellow Rose of course!

#18 ·
Donny, if you want jackrabbit launches from that puppy just swap out the rear for a nice 5.14 ratio rear. It will get you to 70 in a heartbeat..... then what ?
Really, you don't need a big block. Small blocks rule and they are a dime a dozen.
Or, you could spray it. Nitrous works well until everything turns to charcoal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.