El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.

First off, let me start by saying I don't own this particular El Camino. It's my brothers. However, he is at work and I'm not so there you go. However, I am Chevy to the bone (own 2 Camaro's and am a Licensed Tech at a dealership), but this issue kinda has me stumped... I have an idea, but confirmation would be nice.

Just recently (as in the past 1.5 months) he has had severe issues with the vehicle starting. He turns the key, lights come on and sometimes it doesn't want to turn over. Very, VERY intermittent problem. Had him shift it to neutral and it worked for a bit, but now it doesn't either way and he got stranded today. I pulled the old screwdriver trick it and fired right up. Cables to the starter/battery are clean and tight.

So, I'm thinking lock cylinder. Any thoughts/opinions would be great.

-Brandon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about that as well. Another thing I forgot to mention is the lock cylinder appears to be rather loose in it's... cradle?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Possible the lock is not pushing the rod to the ignition switch far enough or the ignition switch is worn out. You already know the neutral switch is flaky, start there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright. I've not yet taken one of these columns apart so after looking at it, I'm assuming the switch is located where the column shift meets the column?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
No the ignition switch is on down the column mounted on the outside, should look something like this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The neutral switch is down there near it, I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it's not the neutral safety switch. Next step is the lock cylinder. The damn thing turns almost half a turn without the key in there so I'm positive that's the culprit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts