El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Don't quote me on this. I'm looking in my 84 shop manual. It lists two models, the 605 and an 800 but it doesn't state any difference. Now as for GM production option codes listed on the service, parts identification sticker (mine is on the inside of the glove compartment) NY6 is the 605, and NY8 is for the 800. Also listed in the book is N40 Steering-Hydraulic/Non-Variable and N41-Steering- Hydraulic/Variable Ratio. If you still have the service parts sticker from the car you took the 605 out maybe you can check to see if the sticker lists an option code of either N40 or N41. The N41 I believe is the quick ratio steering box and probably came in SS models and possibly vehicles with the F41 (code) optional suspension. Hope this is of some help to you. Mike

·
Registered
342 Posts
The 605 box has a cover on top held in by a snap ring and the 800 and 808 hace a cover held on by four bolts.

The 605 is a lighter duty and non rebuildable unit. The 800 is the only box to use. It is stronger and will not wear out as quickly.

To swap from a 605 to a 800 you will need the pitman arm from a G-body with an 800 box.

95% of the G-body I see have them. They were mainly used in 78-79 on 6cyl engines.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The 605 with the snap ring is junk. For the f41 box look for a YZ stamp on the front of the box.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry it's a YA stamp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts