El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've recently become the owner of a 1986 el camino that needs some tlc. First and foremost is the typical loose as hell tilt column. I have read the article about tightening the 4 bolts in the column but unfortunately for me no one will touch it with a 10 foot poll. I had one guy start to look at finally but before he even got to the bolts he said the rag joint was totally worn. I was fortunate enough to find an identical column (since a rag joint was nowhere to be found) as far as (tilt, column shift, pulse wipers)...however.... this 'new' column has cruise control on it, but the column i'm wanting to replace does not. will this be a problem? If so is there a way around it? i've been told yes by some and no by one guy. I figured if I was ever gonna get a straight answer I should try asking on this site. :let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome
as far as the cruse control,i dont think that would be a problem,youll just have a left over plug on the column.

and i think i saw the rag joints at
http://www.elcaminostore.com/?cm_mmc=Affiliate-_-ElCaminoCentral-_-Banner

check the links on ecc and try a search.

fixing your column might be worth a try,get a manual,and these guys can probly step you through it.

good luck :texas:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Did you remove the old column yet? The repair is really very simple! Especially if you follow the directions posted on this site. You only need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate depresser.
If the "pros" were afraid you need to find better mechanics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. unfortunately the steering column is already in and i'm about to drive to philly to pick it up. i'll have my one friend actually get to the bolts and take a look but there are a lot of wiring problems in my column as well so i wont really know what to do till he takes it apart....again.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The shaft in the video looks just like the one in my'92 Chevy pickup, and the top rubber boot on mine is coming apart, Maybe that's what I should do to that. All those steering parts for Jeep and most other makes are built a few miles down the road from me at Saginaw Steering, a Delphi plant, formerly GM.
I was thinking the steering play in my pickup was the steering box, but maybe that shaft and joints are the problem. (?)
I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I did the Jeep shaft upgrade on my Monte. Well worth it in my opinion. Got one for the Elky but haven't installed it yet.

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
I was at the pull n pay this morning so I decided to check out the Gran Cherokees. They had 4. What I found is that the 97 - 98 shaft looks similar but the upper coupling is smaller and won't fit out shaft coming from the column. I got one from a 93 and it fit perfect except for one minor modification to the output shaft from my column. I had to take a die grinder and grind a small groove for the bolt to slide through. About a two minute modification. It just needs a little.
The regular Cherokee and Laredos are completely different. It has to be a Grand cherokee.

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
I'll take some pics. As long as I have been around here I should have known better. I was so excited in finding them so quick, easy and cheap i kind of got carried away and forgot.
Shaft was 6.99 + tax.
Haven't driven it yet but it feels better/stiffer just sitting - like that means something lol.
It will be a few days before I can give it a test drive. To delight skinnyfisher I took it apart AGAIN.

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
Pictures of shaft and mod

This is the difference between the mid 90s and the late 90s shafts. the one of the right will not fit our g-bodies.

Heres the shaft ready for the upper lock bolt.

The shaft with groove ground in it. I slide the shaft on and took a sharpie and stuck through the bolt hole and marked it as to where to grind. The connection to the steering box is a direct bolt on. No mods necessary.

The installed shaft, except for sticking the upper bolt in.

In the thread referenced above they were talking about possible vibration but if you look at the upper u-joint coupling to the main shaft you can see a rubber isolator and the ones that had made the mod said they didn't get any vibration.
HTH

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nice pics. Thanks. Now I know why you haven't taken her for a test drive. If you have her drivable in a few days, You The Man!

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
Well I drove it today and let me tell you that any of you that want a nice feeling steering GO FIND ONE OF THESE SHAFTS! What a difference.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've done the shaft replacement on my 85, using a Jeep shaft. Tightens up the steering feel and as a bonus, you get a little extra clearance. It is a simple and worthy upgrade. Easy to bolt right in...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
success!

Just wanted to let everyone know the column is in an and works fine....had an oldsmobile steering wheel on it....???:secret:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts