El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,434 Posts
Hi kwevans1, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your El Camino. Where abouts are you located? What El Camino do you have? Please tell us a little about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi kwevans1, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your El Camino. Where abouts are you located? What El Camino do you have? Please tell us a little about it.
I live in Nevada, I have a 82 that I'm starting to restore. I need help looking for a tilt steering column for it . The column in it now is shot , to far to repair

·
Premium Member
10,434 Posts
I have an Oldsmobile tilt steering column in my 78 that works great. Columns from a Malibu should work also.

·
Deputy National Director
9,854 Posts
you will need a 82-88 column
other G-Body's will work
the 78-81 are not the same, the wiper switch is not on the column so wiring is different

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can I use any steering column as a replacement ??
As 87next2last1 states, any G-body column with the correct wiper switch will work. Other GM (and Jeep) columns use common parts, but the lower column uses different mounting plates. If you're handy, you may be able to move your existing mounting plate to a column with the wrong base plate.

·
Deputy National Director
9,854 Posts
I know that but columns & wiring the same

·
Supporting Member
4,649 Posts
It can be a bit of a challenge, but rebuilding your column may be possible. The usual culprit is 4 bolts that hold the tilt mechanism, which get loose over time. A little locktight on those bolts usually fixes that issue. There are other issues too, but if you are handy and like DIY, it is something you might try. Worst case is you now have a bunch of spare parts for your new column:sneaky:

Look at this thread, with the post starting on 3/10/2012. There are step by step procedures with good pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts