El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago while driving back from Houston to Dallas I pulled over for gas. As I made a right turn from the exit to the station my steering wheel locked and stayed to the right. First I thought the car had died, but it was still running Then thought the belt had broke. I backed up a little then pulled foward and it straightend out. Checked the belt and fluid at the pump and all was good. So far I haven't had any problems again. Anyone have any opinions on what happened? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
168 Posts
sometimes when the lines get old the linings in them deteriorate and piece break off inside and clog them. could have been a piece temporarily blocking fluid flow. how old is the ps setup?

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
chances are the pump or worse the steering gear is worn out. i would at the very least flush all the old fluid and use a QUALITY power steering fluid( not tranny fluid) if no help you try replacing the lines but why take a chance , go thru the whole system if funds allow:beer:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
another thought - how is your tilt columm?? loose at all/???
i hope none of those 4 screws holding the tilt knuckle didnt fall out inside the columm that is not kool:texas::beer:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Locked steering

This could turn into a deadly situation if not investigated. Have a certified mechanic check out your complete steering system from the end of the steering column in the engine bay to the front tires. If nothing is wrong, that leaves the column as has been suggested. Our cars can be replaced, but not our members.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts