El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden yesterday I go to turn a corner and high pictched squeaking sound happens when I get to about 1 to 2 o'clock on the wheel turn. I have no idea where to oil or lube to make it go away to be to be honest I can't take that noise every time I take a corner I need to fix it any suggestions or what to do or how to proceed?:dontknow:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did you check the pump to make sure there's enough fluid? It sounds like a pump issue to me the pump in my brothers s10 squeals a little when you turn. also try having someone turn it while running and see if it still does it sitting still and try to find it if it does. If not start looking for points of interference in the steering linkage/ suspension. Maybe rubbing on a tie rod or something when the springs start to compress.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
At extreme left turns, a lot of pumps squeal like a banchee. The one on my '56 does that. Nothing wrong with the pump, and has plenty fluid. If you're talking about a slight turn, especially to the left, MOST likely low fluid level.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the fluid level and it was fine. You cannot hear the noise outside of the cab. I think it is in the steering column somewhere. I have no idea where.It happens same place every time I go past would I have created a low somewhere in the mechanism that hits the steering wheel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.