El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok we had an alignment, afterwards I discovered I have 1 3/4 turn from straight to full left.. back to straight and to the right is 1 1/4 turn to lock.. how can I fix this?? Thanks in advance..

· Premium Member
6,148 Posts
How far off was your steering wheel from level when going straight before the alignment? Back to the alignment shop to correct tie rod and toe adjustment. They might have to reposition the pitman arm on the steering box.

· Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has a aftermarket Grant steering wheel and it was way to the left. I thought whoever had it before me just didn’t put it on in the correct orientation. So I unbolted it and moved it to the right one bolt hole over which seemed to help center the wheel but was still off. Pitman arm and idler arm look relatively straight from underneath. What is involved clocking the pitman arm? Thanks for the reply.

· Premium Member
2,466 Posts
It took a 40 ton shop press to get my Jeep Grand Cherokee Pitman arm off prior to installing the JGC box on my EC. No small hand held puller as a loaner tool from an auto parts store worked to remove it.

You might be luckier than me.

Once off, you will need to center that shaft before putting the Pitman arm back on. Count turns or eyeball it with some kind of sweep indicator taped to the Pitman shaft. Then put the Pitman arm back on.

Once the steering box is back on, any final centering of the steering wheel will need to be done with a better alignment.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It took a 40 ton shop press to get my Jeep Grand Cherokee Pitman arm off prior to installing the JGC box on my EC. No small hand held puller as a loaner tool from an auto parts store worked to remove it.

You might be luckier than me.

Once off, you will need to center that shaft before putting the Pitman arm back on. Count turns or eyeball it with some kind of sweep indicator taped to the Pitman shaft. Then put the Pitman arm back on.

Once the steering box is back on, any final centering of the steering wheel will need to be done with a better alignment.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sounds like a lot of work 😂
I’m not doing any auto cross events so I may just live with it for now. Thanks for the reply.😎

· Premium Member
6,148 Posts
Ah the plot thickens! The old grant wheel in the wrong position trick. Pull the horn button off. Check and see that the post that comes through the adapter with the horn wire in it is at 10 o'clock. Turn all the way to lock and count the turns all the way to the other side lock. Turn back half way and put adapter on with horn post at 10 o'clock.
That is where it has to be to center the rest of the steering. Will require the toe to be reset after correcting that situation to finish centering the wheel when driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts