El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two steering wheel pullers...but neither one has the right size bolts to fit the holes in the 86 El Camino steering wheel. Anyone know what size I need to go and get? I'm sure it's metric...

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I know this doesnt help but you can make one:poke: me and dad used a hub puller and used 3 bolts and used that and it worked great. But that is cause we didnt have one

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,778 Posts
Try taking it to NAPA & see if they have something :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out I DID have the right bolts. But I didn't discover it until I bought a couple of $2 bolts at Home Depot. It's NOT 8mm x 1.25, I know that for a fact, now.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Most puller sets have multiple styles.
I try to buy the sets with the most options.
Inexpensive tool,but it gets well used.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have two pullers; I just didn't find the right bolts the first time through trying them all. Now I feel stupid. I would say, looking at those bolts, that I bought them some previous time. They were a different length and had shorter threads. But I slept since then. Hundreds of times.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Always a GREAT idea when working around the shop or especially on vehicles, to get one of those cheap plastic nut and bolt size thingys (yup, all the techno lingo! ) I have one standard and one metric, and another for wheel lug nut spacing. Cost around a buck at a swap meet but would save having to ask like this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts