El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on my gauge cluster yesterday, and got some sort of oily sludge all over my hands after touching the steering column. Upon further inspection, I noticed this dark-colored crud was all over the back of the steering wheel and on the column. What I'm wondering is: Is this some kind of natural occurance from sitting in the hot Texas sun all Summer (temps were above 106 for 80 days in a row), or is this some sludge-slime that one of my nasty neighbors has placed on there? It looks like it's even starting to drip along the bottom. It just looks like there's oil or something coming out of where the column and wheel meet. What is this 'swamp jelly'?...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve, thanks for the thread referral! Kind of what I suspected, what I call 'steering wheel sap'. I can't remember if the grip part of the steering wheel was sticky too, but I think it was, because the first thing I bought for the car was a black leather wheel wrap (love the feel of a leather wrap, and I like the larger diameter of a factory wheel). I'll give it a closer look, but I'd bet that's exactly the problem. The car sat all summer through the heat, and I don't know how long it sat before I bought it, maybe a year, who knows... Time to get a new steering wheel, I guess...

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,807 Posts
Your welcome!! Glad to help ! I had the same problem on my 84 when I first got it! I was driving one day & put both my hands on the middle horn pad & had that sticky stuff all over my hands ! So I got another wheel !! It was from up north !! I guess it's from that Texas & Florida sun & heat ??

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Your welcome!! Glad to help ! I had the same problem on my 84 when I first got it! I was driving one day & put both my hands on the middle horn pad & had that sticky stuff all over my hands ! So I got another wheel !! It was from up north !! I guess it's from that Texas & Florida sun & heat ??
Great job on pulling up that thread to help him, I remembered it was out there but I couldn't find it:You_Rock:!!!
Donny

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Not unique to Texas
My 79 Chev pickup has been thru about 3 steering wheels
Gets damn toasty in Phoenix where I lived for 10 years when I was in my 20s
Gets pretty warm up in the high deserts of Utah as well-----temps of 106 not all that uncommon.
Now I'm needing a new wheel if I ever decide to run that truck again---been sitting idle for 6 years now, but I bought it new and have attachment issues with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts