El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if somebody could scan or send me a picture of a complete steering column break down for a 79 model like out of a factory service manual. i kinda need this soon so if you guys could please.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that did help some but i am trying to figure out how the spring goes in behind the locking plate without damaging something

·
Banned
881 Posts
Do you have a lockplate removal tool? The spring is under the lockplate and canceling ring. You have to use a special lockplate removal tool to compress the plate and spring enough to remove the retainer clip for the lockplate. Once the retainer clip is out, the lockplate, canceling ring, and spring come off easily.

·
Banned
881 Posts
I checked the 79 shop manual and the parts manual but there really isn't a good drawing to scan for you. The parts manual has an exploded drawing of the column but it's so small that after scanning you wouldn't be able to make anything out. The shop manual just shows a sequence of pictures on how to disassemble the column.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't know if there's anything you would find useful there, but this page has some exploded views and directions for various Corvette columns. GM used basically the same column in more or less everything, so perhaps some of these could be of use...

http://www.corvettefaq.com/listing.asp?group=7

D

·
0 Posts
I wish I had seen this earlier I have a factory 1984 Gm service manual covering Caprice,Impala,Monte carlo, and of course Elcamino.

I also have the the sister 1986 Cadilac fleetwood book That's where I learned how to add the air ride to my El camino. Scanning pages and emailing should be simple enough or just mail you a printed copy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts