El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find a car stereo wiring harness adapter for a 74 el camino? I've found them for nearly every other year but mine. I want the ability to plug into the existing power wires etc. Thanks and have a good one everyone!

Bob

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I guess it would depend on what your trying to do...put an aftermarket stereo in your Elky, or re-install the original type of stereo? Anyway a quality Auto stereo sales/service dealer should carry what you need or be able to order it. That's where I got my harness, they had it in stock. Take the stereo to them, and they should be able to match it up with the correct DIN plug. I think I paid around ten bucks for mine.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wal-Mart has them too, i picked up one for my 81, i know that an older model as yours does have a different type of harness, the plugs are different, i pretty sure they have those too. As theelcaminofactory said just about anyplace that sells car stereo's should have them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Crutchfield sells one for $4.99. Looking at the picture it only has switched 12V, ground, and one other wire (probably illumination - don't have my wiring diagrams here at work). Their picture doesn't show the second plug that would connect to the factory speaker wires, so it probably doesn't come with the kit (you probably wouldn't use them anyway, ref below). Local stereo shops may or may not have them at hand (since it's probably not used often), but they should be able to get them.

One thing to think about - 1974 radios did not have anything like the connection requirements of current ones. No matter what you do, you will be needing to add wires to get things like battery power and (probably) to put in additional speakers. Given that, what I did for mine (a 1973) back in the day was remove the stock mono AM radio, tie the stock harness up out of the way, and then run new wire for everything. I got power from the quick connects on the fusebox (made pigtails when I needed to tap something already in use) and everything else is just new stuff connected to more new stuff. Picked a head unit that didn't require dash mods (just a rear support made of strapping material to an existing bolt). If I ever feel the urge I can pop the factory radio back in easily since all the factory wiring is undisturbed (just currently not connected to anything).

On the other hand, when I did the radio in my mother's 1983 Buick I was able to use a harness adapter without a single extra wire needed. But that car had 4 speakers in the right places and switched 12V, constant 12V, illumination, etc. already going to the factory radio.

You will also need a shaft-mount radio if you want to avoid surgery on the dash. Kenwood makes one (KRC-2007). Pioneer no longer seems to (mine is an older Pioneer). There are a few others. Also, check this post -> http://www.necoa.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1067&highlight=radio&sid=b9ff6e5532f0d71bf236562192328ba2 for a link to Custom Autosound, who has several head units available that can even control remote CD changers, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts