El Camino Central Forum banner

Stereo Dash speaker advise

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Electrodynamic 
#1 ·
Need some advise on this...any help would be appreciated.

I'm working on a 3rd gen '72 Elky.

I replaced the original mono single center speaker dash pad and speaker with a stereo dash pad. I found a set of original speaker brackets and non working speakers (can be seen at http://levitanj.home.mindspring.com/help/help.html?).

The brackets fit mint. The speakers need to be replaced or rebuilt. The driver side opening is very tight, as the headlight switch is quite close. I think the only thing to fit in the opening without major modifications, would be the original speakers.

I would either like to find replacement speakers that would fit in
the original opening or find a vendor to rebuild the original speakers to something more modern.

The speakers will be attached to a Custom Autosound USA-5 model. It is rated at 25 watts per channel, so the fronts will have to be able handle at least that amount.

I'm also looking for a radio bezel, if anyone knows of a vendor that has them.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Those appear to be either 5x7 or 6x9 speakers (can't really tell from the pic). What I think your probably concerned about is the mounting height and the depth of a replacement speaker so it doesn't bottom out on the light switch, but need one capable of handling higher wattage then the stock speakers. Any good auto stereo installation shop should be able to tell you what size speaker will fit in your vehicle without modifications to the dash and sell you the speakers so you can install them! If you don't have a reputable auto stereo installation/service shop in your area, contact Crutchfield at www.crutchfield.com or call them at 1-800-955-9091. Although they show a chart in their catalog and have an interactive website listing speaker size openings for later model vehicles, it doesn't go as far back as your vehicle. Give them a call and maybe they can help you out. A good shop should be able to match you up with a good to outstanding set of speakers that will fit with no mods just by measuring your old speakers and then matching them to an aftermarket pair. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Thanks Mike. I should have mentioned the size of the speakers. They are 4X6. It looks like the old magnet is slightly offset on the drivers side so it does not hit the light switch. The underneath of both speakers have very unique brackets on them so they line up just right with the bracket that attaches to the metal firewall, right beneath the windshield. That is why I was thinking about having the speakers rebuilt.

I will take your advise and go to a few auto installers this week. I'll have to hunt down some that work or know classics.

Thanks again.

#4 ·
Your welcome JW, and when I say reputable shop, I don't mean the one that appeared overnight at what use to be the corner gas station and also installs window tint. Look for one thats been around at the same location a few years and only deals with auto audio/video equipment, they're still around because they are the pros, know what I mean man?

#5 ·
I got a replacement a few years ago from OPGI and it fit great. Heard the're not doing the discount like they promised but maybe you can get an idea what to do from the picture. Not that expensive without the discount though. Mine just bolted right up and it was worth it.

#6 ·
Thanks Lcamino67. I've seen the OPGI dash speakers in the catalog. They carry two for the '70-'72. One is sold by the pair for $40 and the other ones go for $80 a piece. They both seem to have the brackets built into a round speaker. Which one did you get for yours? How do you like the sound? How much power are you pushing to the fronts?

Thanks

#7 ·
Hey 72. I got the 2 speaker in the center dash.Went with the 30 watt because my 10 year old Pioneer stereo isn't really what you call a cranker but it sounds good to these 42 year old ears. With the 2 in front and a pair in the doors it sounds pretty good at 1/2 to 3/4 volume. Anymore and it starts to crack a little. I'm kinda running into the same problem as you, thinking about going to a better stereo with a cd hookup. I'll probably go to an audio store and just have the speakers upgraded and use the mounting bracket that came with the first set. If I had to do again? Would have got the 50watts but wasn't thinking about future upgrades. And it does sound alot better then having 2 in the door and 2 behind the seat. Stereo watts? I don't remember having lost the book awhile back, but it wasn't anything fancy. Hope this helps ya. By the way,Nice ride.

#8 ·
I would highly advise going to your local stereo shop, taking the 4x6's that you have with you (to check for mounting depth), and buying some aftermarket speakers from them. Some cheap, good sounding 4x6's off the top of my head are Infinity Reference and Polk ex (I think they're the ex's...they're the entry-level). If you can't find either of those brands, just use your ears and listen to various speakers in the show room at your local car audio shop and use your ears to decide. Even if they don't have the 4x6's on the wall, listen to the smallest set that they have available for demo'ing, and make sure you listen to different brands. If you can remember, close your eyes while listening to them - that way you don't have any visuals poisoning your decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.