El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the factory am/fm/cassette unit in my Elky and it still works but I need upgrades for speakers and stuff and reception is not that good. I think they call this space the 1 1/2 din ?? Does anyone have any ideas or reccomendations. Is the original worth keeping going or is there a good replacement option which will look nice as well as perform nice in that same space????
I mostly listen to the radio in a car....not into MP3 or CD all that much but probably should be?

thanks for any ideas/pics etc..

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm pretty sure they're all single din. The OEM radio was gone when I got mine and the mounting plate had already been cut for something more modern. I took this Clarion CZ200 out of my former daily driver. It has a rear USB cable that I ran into the glove compartment. I use a thumb drive with 1200+ songs for music, and when I want to listen to the radio, the reception is great. I never have used the CD player in it.

·
ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Pioneer DEH P47DH will fit fine, it is a 1 1/2 DIN size unit which is what the 86 needs. This size is what most GM cars of this era used as well as many Chrysler products. It is not made anymore, but you can find them on eBay, etc. No need to cut up the dash to try and fit a double DIN unit that is popular in current cars.

·
ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts
This works great at a good price my Kenwood is discontinued. Also click on my photo bucket it shows it all. There's a couple of other members who used my ideas and they will back it up.:beer:http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m636/HKDUP87/87 EL CAMINO/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_ click

Click this bar to view the full image.

Last edited by HKDUP87; 04-29-2012 at 01:42 PM.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of people don't realize that they changed the radio to a larger 1 1/2 DIN size in 86,87, that's why it limits your options for something original without altering the opening size.
For the satellite radio, do you just put that under the seat or something? then you pay a fee, correct?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I bought a Pioneer model DEH-P77DH it is a 1 1/2 din for my 87 El camino about 8 years ago and it comes with detachable face & RCA jacks for a Amp & remote and more features than I really need , it was easy to install and I added a Ipod adapter about 3 years ago and I think the Ipod sounds better than the radio or CD's. I have not had any problems with it to date but I don't have a amp to it either cause with the size of the cab and it has different sound levels when you fine tune it the sound is right good. I have Infinity speakers in the front dash corners and 2 6x9 Rockford Fosgates in boxes behind the seats.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i will only run pioneer decks. i like the functionality and how much you can tweak the sound with the higher end models. heres what i got in my elkie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.