El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im not a master mechanic by any means but i like to do as much work on this old baby that i can. that being said i have a few questions. I have a 80 elco came with a stock V6 but swapped it with a 305 HO 5.0 motor from a monte carlo. I have an Edelbrock performers series 4 barrel carb on it and lately it has been sticking. I have a 3 speed manual trans and when i go to shift it seems like the throttle is still engaged even with out any pressure on the pedal. when i blip the throttle a lil it will settle back to a normal idle this is the first car i have owned that isnt EFI and am not sure where to begin to diagnos this issue. thanks for any input i know i always get some good responses from this forum.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
do you have a good throttle return spring??
could be the carb is not bolted down evenly,, loosen the 4 mounting and snug them down even,not too tight..
the throttle cable could be sticking,, take the end off the carb and check it..:texas:

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
X2 on throttle return spring.

Also sounds like maybe the choke/fast idle might be coming on.

·
Registered
555 Posts
It only happens when you shift?

The first thing that pops in my head is that the tranny kickdown cable is binding or causing your problem some how, some way. Do you have the kickdown cable hooked up? Disconnect it and see if your problem goes away. A good strong return spring is a must too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a new throttle cable in and new springs, seems to have stopped it from sticking but now it seems to be Reving a little high, I got an edelbrock performer carb 600 cfm with electric choke. I'm thinking the idle is set high but no really sure how to adjust that

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
So I was late to this party. I'd have suggested the cable getting sticky and use a stiffer spring to overcome that issue until you got it taken off, cleaned and lubed or replaced. Sometimes you can save those cables, but it is best to replace them. And if you even get one that got a kink in it from a bad motor mount letting the motor jump around, just replace it. It's not worth getting have a WOT sticking. Don't ask me how I know this. I might tell you. But, you did good replacing the cable.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
To add to all the great suggestions shoot some WD-40 into yhe throttle plate shafts from knside and out. Just a quick squirt. Make sure the final idle speed adjustment is done after motor is up to full op temp. Spring must have some nuts to keep the idle consistant.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
check that the choke is open and that its off the fast idle cam to the rear of the idle screw/linkage on the driver side when its warmed up..
spray the linkage down with carb cleaner and exercise it some...:texas:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx for all the input I was able to get new cable, and new springs, figured out the idle and she's purring again :nanawrench:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts