El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

i have a mild sticky lifter noise at start up, and when not warm.

well you can mainly hear it underneath, but me and Dad used a stethoscope and didnt hear it?

why im confused is after a highway drive, the noise got a bit louder, maybe 3 feet away you could hear it in the driveway. now im confused. but then later it was quiet again when we started it?

can someone please help me, im misunderstanding. i have always assumed a sticky lifter which i assume it is but why cant i hear it with the engine stethoscope?

any ideas?

its not a big problem and no one can hear it but me and Dad because we are always working on it and aquired the little sound.

i got a good video of it but the camera doesnt want to upload to the computer right.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
take v covers off and watch the rocker arms as you turn the engine over. bad cam, and one won't move as far as the other. with engine off (not cranking) spin/jiggle pushrods between thumb and forefinger. loose one will be the bad lifter IF it has the same lift/movement up and down as the others. Bad lobe on cam will give BOTH indications.

:poke:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sticky lifter.

Warm up engine. Remove valve cover as in previous post. Start engine. Very carefully place stethescope on each rocker stud on at a time. Compare the sounds. I'll bet you'll find the right one.

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
Both Keyser and 80v6 are spot on. A cold engine inspection will pinpoint the offending valve. The hot engine will verify a bad cam (no clearance improvement) or lifter leak-down (clearance improved).

This all assumes the lifter clearance has been properly adjusted prior to testing, of course.
My money's on a lifter leaking down.

You can also use a dial indicator to check individual valve lift at the rocker.

Good luck

·
Registered
351 Posts
Maybe an exhaust leak! Take a piece of 1/8 in vac hose 3 feet or so and put one end in your ear the other end move around exhaust ports you will really hear a leak if there is one. Theres your tick maybe. My bro had most of the ex. bolts loose. He thought it was a lifter also. Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts