El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently cleaning the inside of my '84 when I noticed that the steering wheel cover was a little worn, so I decided to take it off. Underneath I found a goodlookin' steering wheel with nice trim to complement the rest of the interior. I noticed it was a little dirty, so I tried to clean it. It cleaned up nice only that no matter what I try, I can't get it to quit being sticky. I've tried cleaning it with degreaser and just about anything you can think of. Anyone know how I can get rid of the stickiness? Thanks!

· Registered
2,294 Posts
You might try a scotch brite pad with some mineral spirits. Put some plastic sheet under the wheel to catch drips. If that fails I would get a lace-up leather or a vinyl cover in the interior color.

Doug

· Registered
342 Posts
There is nothing you can do. It will only get worse.

Used to be able to clean mine once a month then once a week then now it needs cleaning every time you get in the car as in several times a day.

Mine looks great too but it's just the vinyl outgassing chemicals.

As for me I hate wheel covers with a passion as they don't look good and they are a safety hazard. No matter how good the cover or install it isn't safe. My wheel will be replaced when I start driving the elky again.

· Registered
2,294 Posts
What is unsafe about a lace-up leather steering wheel cover? I've had one on my '85 for about 15 years and love it, going to get one for the '87 too.

Doug

· Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, i can't get it to stop being sticky. It seems like the warmer it gets the worse it is. Does anyone know where I could get my hands on a replica? I'd like to get one that is identical or close to it. But for now I'm gonna have to go with the lace-up cover.

· Registered
276 Posts
In the manufacture of the wheel, silicone is embedded into the material to keep it from drying out in the sun. I control the stickiness on my wheel by using a sun shade in the windshield, and wiping the wheel down with STP Son-Of -A-Gun about once a month. North Carolina gets hot in the summer. :-(

· Banned
840 Posts
dougs85 said:
What is unsafe about a lace-up leather steering wheel cover? I've had one on my '85 for about 15 years and love it, going to get one for the '87 too.

Doug
I agree.I got a 2-tone one in one car.Looks great,& doesnt seem to interfere with normal operations at all.Feels better than the stock wheel did.

· Registered
2,294 Posts
Maximus84 said:
dougs85 said:

Doug
I agree.I got a 2-tone one in one car.Looks great,& doesnt seem to interfere with normal operations at all.Feels better than the stock wheel did.
Yeah Jon, If more owners would have had leather covers on their plastic steering wheels they would not have sticky wheels. Triple benefit, better cold and hot weather feel and protection for the plastic.

Doug

· Registered
2,294 Posts
mondo05 said:
I'm sure there are many advantages to having the leather cover, but I for one prefer they way it looks without it.

I did have one more question...

Would the stickiness from the steering wheel seep into the cover if its been on there long enough?
Good question, probably depends on how liquid the sticky stuff is. I don't think anyone knows that answer for sure. Using some plastic film food wrap on the wheel before installing the cover could solve that possible problem though.

I like the look of a color-matched lace-up leather cover. A lot of high-dollar vehicles have leather-covered steering wheels.

Doug

· Registered
2,294 Posts
szonk said:
talcum powder
Not near high-tech enough :lol: Sounds like a winner, on a bare wheel or dusting inside a leather cover?

Doug

· Registered
2,294 Posts
DONE DEAL DONNY said:
Sorry to here about all the (sticky stuff) on ya'lls steering wheels, you must learn better self control. And ah-yea remind me not to drive your cars. :p Donny
:lol:

Doug

· Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Quote of another

Here is some info quoted. I can't personally vouch for it.

Outgassing is exactly the problem. The plastics used in these parts continue to give off volatiles. This spooge also condenses on the insides of your windows. I've found that the best solution is to use pre-cleaner solution. This is the solvent that's used to wipe down a car just before you paint it. You can buy a gallon at any auto paint store. The pre-cleaner will not dissolve the plastic. You will likely need to wipe the wheel down every few weeks or so until you remove the remaining volatiles.

By the way, pre-cleaner is a great thing to have around. It won't damage paint, but it will remove a multitude of residues, such as adhesives (from bumper stickers, for example), road tar, bug guts, grease, and many other nasty coatings. Pre-cleaner is also great for cleaning spark plug wires before a show, though be sure to check the compatibility of any date codes or other ink with the pre-cleaner before wholesale wiping down.

Take care.

· Registered
402 Posts
Lol I just used the armor hammer whips and its all good, I need to do it again but ive been working on my beast and getting behind the wheel without fully washing my hands so its dirty again, oh and its not just the oils in the wheel its self its a combo of those and the natural oils in ones skin, if you use lotion on your hands that contributes as well.

· Registered
6 Posts
I've had the same issue. I've got a wheel cover on the actual steering wheel, but the middle horn area is still quite sticky. I've found that if I just Armor-All the heck out of it (taking care not to get any on the hand contact surface, of course) and wipe it down with a microfiber cloth it seems to keep the stickiness down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.