El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i finally got my 85 running right. found some vacume hose disconnected with screws in them. rearranged a few hoses but still have 1 that i cant find a home for anyone know where i can find a vew of vacume hoses? :cry:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Get yourself a service manual for your Elky, it's from Chilton, I got mine from O'Reilly's. This manual is very comprehensive and has a chapter on Emission controls and vacuum line diagrams among other very useful stuff.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
b4black,
Visited your website, again. It's been a while since I visited. Neat website. Great info. A must for every "performance" Buick fan.
-dan

·
Registered
147 Posts
ElkySS said:
b4black,
Visited your website, again. It's been a while since I visited. Neat website. Great info. A must for every "performance" Buick fan.
-dan
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
diagram on the front is unreadable. the old version of the chilton i have has the wiring to all the emission stuff but not of vacume.that link will deffintly be alot of help thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i now have a serious ptoblem with the 85.was running fine till last weekend> going down the road at 65 mph.then dropped to 55 then 45 hen 35 then i pulled over.noticed that the voltage dropped shut it off to see what was going on.then got back in to start it then nothing happened wouldnt even crank. let it set a second then it started.started to go again and could not go over 35.shut it off when i stoped to have breakfast got in started right up and run fine. ran a few places then could not get over 35 again.gave it gas then it acted like it wanted to die.it idles fine.for a few minutes it runs good then goes nuts rpm is irratic along with the voltage. someon told me the carb is junk but im thinking something electrical.anyone have this problem before

·
Registered
167 Posts
seasaw said:
going down the road at 65 mph.then dropped to 55 then 45 hen 35 then i pulled over.noticed that the voltage dropped shut it off to see what was going on.then got back in to start it then nothing happened wouldnt even crank. let it set a second then it started.started to go again and could not go over 35.shut it off when i stoped to have breakfast got in started right up and run fine. ran a few places then could not get over 35 again.gave it gas then it acted like it wanted to die.it idles fine.for a few minutes it runs good then goes nuts rpm is irratic along with the voltage.
You just described exactly what my old '75 Chevy Vega did a few months back. Turned out that the fuel pump was bad, it would run for a while until it got so hot that the internals would expand and the pump would sieze. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, and it would fire right up and go for another hour or so. On the highway I wouldn't be able to get over 55-60mph as the fuel pump couldn't keep up with the demands of how much fuel the engine needed. Check out the fuel pump, and possibly alternator.

Charles

·
Registered
794 Posts
I agree with the fuel pump, had similar problem with my grand wagoneer, turned out to be the fuel pump. :eek:

·
Registered
492 Posts
if it is the fuel pump, here are the part numbers and prices. if it is stock.

6470310 305g(l69) $44.05
6470422 305h(lg4) $34.48
25168719 4.3z(lb4) $71.32
6471172 231a(ld5) $39.17

just bored at work... hope that may help you a little. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
motorbreth said:
just bored at work... hope that may help you a little. :D
I feel your pain brother, this is quite possibly the longest 12 hours I've ever worked. Very slow today, but a great time to catch up on here...hehe

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ha! you got that right. they keep buggin me a damn used s10. they want to know how much something cost, and when i tell them they dont want it b/c it is too much! and they keep coming back and doing it again. is it 6 yet??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well after 2 hours running around town to get a temp. sending unit. that ended up being my problem.put the new one oneand runns great.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Wow that's different :eek: A temp sending unit causing all that heartache!
Glad you got it fixed and shared the problem.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
seasaw said:
well after 2 hours running around town to get a temp. sending unit. that ended up being my problem.put the new one oneand runns great.

How did you get onto the problem being the temp sending unit, if I may ask?
Dan

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i noticed the temp. gauge wasnt working . only showing about 130 degrees on the gauge.drove around a while this morning ended up having same problem but not as severe. so i will be replacing the carb. after taking the carb apart found screws broke and it was bent. so thats causing it to leak.i know ill be replacing almost everything since the truckk seat so long while the previuos owner let it set so long. just hoping that was the fix so i could drive it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok ive replaced the fuel pump put a different carb on and had the altenator checked still has real bad hesitation and tries to die around 35 or 45 anyone have a suggestion

·
Registered
80 Posts
vacuum leak? look at ALL the hoses and lines. also if you put a different carb on, check the float level? maybe, hard to guess....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts