El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Got a question I'm hoping someone here can answer. I recently bought an 81 that has a non original 350. Just got it running and trying to figure out what's what with the engine. The short block is a 71 (CGC suffix), but the heads were reported to have been swapped 2 owners ago. They are 882 heads with the casting ending with a 4. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if anything was done to the valve train. I'll hook a dial gauge up to a lifter maybe this week or the next and see what lift the cam is to identify if its stock or not. But my concern is the valve springs. I've been out of gen 1 engines for quite some time now and cant remember if the stock springs had dampers or not. I also thought they had a cap on top to help control oil. I don't have a picture handy, but if anyone has any info about the damper or caps, or lack of exhaust rotators that would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Back in the day 882 casting number heads ,where great for porting(lots of Beef) any way as far as the springs find a set of z28 springs or call summit they will know what you want,they are good for over 500 lift cam, and will fit where the old springs do, at least install new valve stem seals. if i find the part # for the springs i will let you know ..

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
yes they had a damper inner spring yes they had stell caps over the valves for the reason you mentioned, what are your plans for these heads??? be careful on overall lift,,, if the rocker studs are presed in they can pul out over .550 lift hope this helps:beer:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My plans for them are nothing really. With the 76cc chambers and stock dished pistons these smoggers aren't going to cut it in the long run. Sure I can work them, but I would just as soon go vortechs or an aluminum casting. All I'm really trying to do is figure out what's already done to this engine. The oil caps have been removed which leads me to suspect the springs were off at some time. Which also leads me to believe there is also a mild cam in it (idles good). Of course this is all speculation on my end. I just wish there was something visible to distinguish aftermarket springs. Besides pulling them off and getting the seat pressure checked.

Also, don't these smoggers come stock with exhaust valve rotators too? Mine doesnt have them either.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that's what I was looking for guys. I guess I can pull one and check pressure. I want to make sure I know what I have before I start throwing money at it. It just looked suspiciously un stock to me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot, I'm not going to even bother checking spring pressure and just get a set of Z28 springs when I do a cam swap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts