El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My repair shop says I should replace my carb because of several problems. It is leaking fuel and idles rough. It is a Rochester 4 BBL. on my stock 1987 305ci. He does not seem to think rebuilt a carb is the way to go. What do you think? If new is the way to go are there better replacements then the Rochester or should I stick with a Rochester?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
If you can be down a few weeks pull it off and send it to mountain man.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I agree. Best carb for your cruck is the original qjet rebuilt by an expert if needed. Parts store remans are a gamble with bad odds and new aftermarket stuff is a hassle of sorta right probably too rich for a stock set up.
Patrick

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
welcome RT
to keep the original computer control, a new or rebuilt E4ME is the only option..
good luck finding a new one at a decent price..
x2 on
Mountain Man he usually test runs and tunes the carb,
maybe that's what your shop is not up too,,
that and the they may not be used to doing the throttle shaft bushings..
it takes special tools and skills to work on the computer controlled electric Qjets..

it should run right out of the box, if not
check everything else before turning the screws..

·
Registered
512 Posts
R/T, whatever you do, DO NOT swap out, exchange, or let your current QJet out of your control. Unless, it is to have Mountain Man do a rebuild. Basically, it all depends on what your long range plans are for the Ekly. If you plan to keep it stock along with the computer controls, then Mountain Man is probably the best way to go.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I was at the same point, and was going to rebuild my carb until I found out that it was computer controlled. I wasn't a member here at that time and did not know of Mountain Man's reputation, if I had, I probably would have sent him my carb. Everyone here has given you the best advice from what I've seen, that bein said, I just said "Here, hold my beer and watch this." and stuffed a 400hp LS motor in and went through more headaches than I care to remember. If you just want your car running right again I would call MM. Best of luck!

Joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you decide not to keep the quadrajet I would be glad to buy if off you. In my estimation best performance and fuel efficiency carb there is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My repair shop says I should replace my carb because of several problems. It is leaking fuel and idles rough. It is a Rochester 4 BBL. on my stock 1987 305ci. He does not seem to think rebuilt a carb is the way to go. What do you think? If new is the way to go are there better replacements then the Rochester or should I stick with a Rochester?
First, I believe that you should consult a company such as Edlebrok about what size carb you need. A 305 cid engine is quite small. And, unless you have changed the intake manifold, heads and cam. You proabable need a smaller carb. I had a 750 cfm Rochester carb on a stock GTO (400 cid) and it bogged down, sputtered etc, Put a 650 carb on it and most probs went away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts