El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1981 El Camino. It appears to be a factory 4-Speed with a Hurst Shifter. Minus the weird plastic cover. Please see picture. My research shows the 81 to be the last year for the manual transmission in the El Camino, correct? Is this Hurst Shifter the factory (stock) part? Rather than a Chevy shifter? If so, would the truck have come with a T-Handle like shown, or the white Hurst Ball Handle? I know the truck is FAR from stock, but I'd like to get the shifter right, if possible. My S10 has the white ball handle, so since I have both I can honestly say that I don't have a preference in terms of feel since I like them both the same. I was just hoping to learn which handle is the correct factory part, and go with that.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,855 Posts
never seen a stock hurst shifter in the 78-81, seems like all the shifter levers are round with the ball

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
never seen a stock hurst shifter in the 78-81, seems like all the shifter levers are round with the ball
OK, my bad. Let me clarify. In terms of the "Shifter", I have seen Hurst shifters in El Caminos that are claiming to be stock. Here's an typical example. This shifter is the exact shifter I have in my 81. The same round chrome shifter lever with the visible Hurst Logo. Just like in my picture. Only this car uses the white ball and mine has the T-Handle. So I am wondering if the factory 4-Speed 78-81 cars, that "Seem" to come with a Round Hurst shifter stock, is the white ball correct, or the T-Handle?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,855 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there should be an RPO code for a different shifter if there was one ?
Have not found any RPO codes for Hurst shifters

This is an 1980 Stock shifter

this has the options for the 81 & don't see an option ? Guess you need search the RPO codes for the hurst shifter, Part can not be installed without an RPO code

View attachment 133788
LOL, great. There's three 78-81 El Camino's ALL with different shifters!
Thanks for the link. I think at the least I'm gonna switch to a round style ball. Plastic definitely hurts less than that t-Shifter when I leave the El Camino in the scorching Virginia sun, and hop in it and grab a handful of scorching hot aluminum!!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
AFAIK unlike its corporate cousins, Chevrolet never used Hurst shifters from the factory. Dealers may have added them, but not the factory.
Pontiac was the first to use Hurst shifters in their 61 models.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AFAIK unlike its corporate cousins, Chevrolet never used Hurst shifters from the factory. Dealers may have added them, but not the factory.
Pontiac was the first to use Hurst shifters in their 61 models.
Trust me when I say I'm not arguing with you. I had absolutely NO REASON to think the Hurst Shifter in my El Camino came from the factory. All I know is there's another El Camino, that I posted the link to, that's exactly like mine and claims to be stock.

That being said, the shifter in my El Camino works flawlessly, and I have no intention of swapping it out any time soon. I started this post because I was thinking the more traditional "white ball" shift knob might be a worthwhile upgrade/downgrade (depending on what you prefer), to the existing T-Handle. And after checking the prices on eBay and Amazon, I think it's worth giving it a shot. They are cheap enough that I'm not out any real money if I decide to go back to the "T". As a kid I always hated that dreadful WIN/WIN expression, but hey, in this instance it works....kinda'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts