El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our '65 Elky is a non-a/c truck, but with the summers here in AZ (its already here now), I need to get something going in the truck asap. Being its a '65, is an aftermarket 134a system the way to go, or start trying to collect OEM parts and go that route? I don't see much in the way of parts for the '64-'65's in the repro catalogs and I need everything. Of course cash is tight as always for us. The cheapest systems I see are Nostalgic Air at $900 and Old Air at $1,060. You can get Evap Kits for around $700-800 but you have to add the condensor, drier, etc. which probably puts you in the full-on kits around $1200-$1400. Also, my cable controls are shot as someone bent the crap out of them and I can't see any repro for '65 for sale. (Maybe someone has a used set-up for sale?)

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Jay

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I'm using Vintage Air in my 69.

Not cheap but blows cold and good support when I was installing it.

·
Deputy Director Site Contributor
1,455 Posts
My 66 was factory air and I converted it over to Vintage Air. it cleaned up the engine bay and it does blow nice and cold.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the vintage air is the only way to go if you are not trying to go original. thier system takes away all of the shortcomings of the original system,are made to bolt in easily and are completely new and your not waiting for the next failure in a 45 year old system. pretty much a no brainer if you can aford it

·
Registered
206 Posts
We installed a Classic Auto Air kit

I have nothing but good things to say about the Classic Auto Air kit we put in my son`s 64.

They "customized" the kit because we had converted the car to serpentine belt, and electric fans etc. They even helped with custom fittings for the late model compressor after we installed everything.

Good folks out of Grapevine so they were close for me.

Good luck on whichever kit you select.

Hasbeen:texas:

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Of the four mentioned, I would go with Classic Auto Air. I am not a fan of Vintage Air, ( I am an ex dristributor of VA's) The best of the best, Hot Rod Air, unfortunately went out of business a couple of years ago. Old Air and Nostalgic Air are also good choices, yet Classic is tops in my book for customer service and superior product. Classic can also rebuild your old control head and set you up with replacement cables. Just my two pennies coming from 33 years of custom and aftermarket a/c installation experience.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I just put an Old Air system in a 64 chevy PU. Fit and worked like a dream.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your comments, they will be used in my making a final decision.

Jay

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Went with vintage air a few years ago, not bad, but my model did have a chinese looking fan motor that wouldn,t start without spinning it by hand first few uses. Lil disappointed on that one.
Many of the older street rodders in florida are in agreement that classic air is a little better for warmer climates.I,d say go with our leader's advice & get the classic air.

·
Registered
298 Posts
umm ... I am getting the A.C. put back into mine - how much different is the cost between the original compared to new stuff?

I was given a vague estimate of from $500.00 up to $1,500.00 to get it working.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
umm ... I am getting the A.C. put back into mine - how much different is the cost between the original compared to new stuff?

I was given a vague estimate of from $500.00 up to $1,500.00 to get it working.
It's usually less expensive and easier to repair the original system than it is to pull it all out and install aftermarket.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It's usually less expensive and easier to repair the original system than it is to pull it all out and install aftermarket.
I have no idea yet as to what it does or does not have.

I got it a month ago and took it to an old timer shop where he sent it out to get the transmission rebuilt almost 3 weeks ago - it's now back at his shop waiting for them to have time to got to a salvage yard and pull windshield wiper assembly and to see what will be needed as far as motor mounts. When it was at transmission shop they were barely able to put one bolt into the mount to hold it while they pulled trans.

So; all I am trying to do it get it up to condition to run right, and get it to pass a safety inspection and follow up in a few days after its legitimately in my name then it goes back in to get the A.C. done and make sure the heater works too.

I am so frustrated knowing I finally got an El a month ago and have not put 20 miles on it yet :neutral:

I am lucky the shop I use has been ALWAYS real right with the customers ... they worked on my Deville convertible and the Corvette and now this toy! :beer:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I took the entire system, evap to underdash boxes, out of my 70 elky if anyone is interested. Worked when I pulled it. All it would need is a few hoses that welded themselves and had to be cut.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If mine would have had the original a/c system, I would have probably put it back, but mine had none to start with. I finally ordered the Classic Auto Air system and it is running $1325 plus shipping and I need to find a good set of cable levers, as mine are bent to hell. They supply the new cables but not the levers.

You can get new dryers and valves pretty cheap if yours are bad from sitting, I imagine the compressor and condensor can be flushed out and pressure checked.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You didn’t mention what system you ordered, under dash or behind dash. I’ve done both types of aftermarket systems, and for certain older vehicles I actually prefer the under dash units like these.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/custom-street-rod-ac-units/underdash-ac-systems-c-30000000_32000000_38000000.html

I guess it really kind of depends on whether you are looking for an era correct or more modern look. On something like your 65 to me an under dash unit would look right at home in it. I also like that they are a lot less complicated to install and because they don’t have a bunch of ducting they are actually more efficient than the behind the dash units.

Here’s a picture of the unit I have in one of my 57 Plymouth, it’s a restored 1960 model Mark IV and is more than enough to cool the inside of the car even on a 100+ degree day.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Mike, are you on the FL forums? I'm not on as much as I should these days. I thought I recognized your username. I'd like to see your rides sometime when I can make it down your way. I thought hard about the underdash units and have heard they can be more efficient than the in dash ones, but I'm running a bench seat with 3 people to sit and the middle one will always have his long legs bumping into it I think. That's why I went with the in dash unit. I went ahead with the Classic Auto Air unit. It has everything I need, except pulleys, and I think the customer service so far has een great and they have customized my set-up a bit with no extra charges. We'll see how it goes when it gets here though!

Mike, your underdash system looks real cool in your car. Again, I hope to get down your way in the near future.

Jay

1 - 20 of 23 Posts