El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Back with yet another problem with my 85 El camino.

Since i've owned this car a couple of times after turning the vehicle off on an incline it will not start again. That would lead me to believe that the tilt of the tank is causing the fuel to sit too low to be picked up by the pickup. However, this has also happened on very minor incline and only seems to happen when the car is warm. Recently i visited a friend and parked my car in his apartment complex driveway while i ran into to ask where i should park. This was a very minor incline. Tank was roughly 1/2 full. The car would not start no matter what, blocking the entrance of the complex I had a lot of frustrated tenants while i was waiting for the tow truck. I could fill the bowl and move the car a little but then it would stall again. With the help of the tow truck driver i managed to get it out onto the road on a decline where it that started running again. Got it onto the truck and got it home, started while on the truck on a very steep incline and then it died and would not run again. Once back on the flat and after sitting for a few hours it would start again.

Seems the issue doesn't occur when i'm actually driving and sitting on a hill, if i'm in traffic with the car running it hasn't stalled on me, it's only once the car is off and it's on an incline and I try start again that the problem occurs. As mentioned, the car has always been warm in these situations. I am running a holley on the car, a quality fuel filter just before the fuel its the carb. It has been checked and is clean. I've also tested the pump when the car is running normally to check flow and i have a strong consistent flow of fuel. This leads me to believe the problem is south of the pump.

I have purchased a new pump anyway as the old one is likely still the original. Also planning to drop the tank and replace the rubber lines incase it's sucking some air. What's confusing me is if it was indeed sucking air through deteriorated lines it would also affect the car on the flat. And would also affect the car when it's running and on a hill.

Can also say i've tried starting the car when it's stalled too with the fuel cap off incase there was a vapour lock. No dice.

Any idea what else might be causing this? I can also see the vent line that usually goes to the charcoal canister has been vented to atmosphere and the canister removed.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Move to Louisiana. Its very flat here.

How about a carburetor float problem while inclined? Perhaps some drain back or flooding of the engine while inclined?

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sounds like engine is flooding or carb is heat soaked. Have you tried holding your foot to the floor and starting it. In flooded situations this usually works. Heat soak might be fixed as simple as a thick spacer under carb.
Tom

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention, when i have been having this issue i've popped the fuel line off of the carb and ran it into a bottle to check if i'm getting flow and i don't have any when the problems occurring. So i can be sure it's not carb related. The fuel is not making it up there when the issue is happening.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,581 Posts
check your oil pan to see if you're leaking fuel over. if you are then fuel pump is a problem. I had a similar issue years ago but incine/decline wasn't the problem. couldn't go faster than 45-50mph

·
5,581 Posts
I think he means check dipstick and see if oil is over full.
Tom
correct. sorry about that, it's too early in the morning to be thinking about this. still on the first cup of coffee.

and not necessarily overfull, especially if your oil is low, but you should smell it on the dipstick if it is leaking over and see a different wet line on the dipstick higher than the oil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, i'll check that today and report back. If it is indeed draining out is that an issue with the pump itself? Could that also be causing an air lock? If the bowl is full and air in the line and the pump cant send anything up the line.

·
5,581 Posts
Thanks, i'll check that today and report back. If it is indeed draining out is that an issue with the pump itself? Could that also be causing an air lock? If the bowl is full and air in the line and the pump cant send anything up the line.
absolutely. that would be a break in the diaphragm causing fuel to leak into the oil pan. since it can only pump so much to the carb with that leak, it can't keep the bowls filled. had it happen on my '67 impala.

let us know what you find.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It wonder if it is some sort of Vapor lock . I am having the same problem . I have a clear fuel filter on it just for this reason. If the vehicle gets hot (190) and idles a while it act likes it runs out of gas . it is a vapor lock or the fuel pump cant keep up.no fuel is going to the filter and carb. If I let it sit for about 15 minutes . it will pump fuel again then go.
I am thinking about replacing all the fuel lines. I have already replaced the tank and the rubber fuel lines

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Riatta,
That sounds exactly like what's happening here. Always when the car is up to full temp and has heat soaked. Although i have to leave it for quite a while before it will start again. I really need it to happen again so i can check suction just before the tank.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
If the new fuel pump doesn’t solve it I think you need to drop your tank and check the pickup tube. They’ve been known to develop rust holes. Also the sock filter may be clogged, although this usually causes problems at higher RPM’s. Certainly you’ve proven your carburetor isn’t getting gas. That only leaves the pump or the lines to it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So today i checked the dipstick to see if see if the pan was filling with fuel. No signs that was happening. The oil on the dip stick did smell slightly of fuel but no discernible separation line.

I decided to drop the tank, the rubber lines at the tank did look a little crusty but not really damaged at all. The fuel sending unit was clean and the tube doesn't seem to have any damage either. The fuel sock was crusty and torn though. The o ring on the sending unit had some cracks.

Those 2 moulded lines coming off of the sending unit, do they really need those bends? They don't seem to serve a purpose, not readily available here in Australia, i was hoping to replace them with straight line. I am also replacing the fuel pump while I am at it, can't get the fitting off of the pump at the moment though to remove it, seems seized in place just rounding out on the wrench.

I'd really like to avoid buying a new sending unit if possible. This tank is really clean, only issue seems to be the sock which i think i will remove anyway since I am running a quality inline filter before the carb anyway.

·
5,581 Posts
So today i checked the dipstick to see if see if the pan was filling with fuel. No signs that was happening. The oil on the dip stick did smell slightly of fuel but no discernible separation line.

I decided to drop the tank, the rubber lines at the tank did look a little crusty but not really damaged at all. The fuel sending unit was clean and the tube doesn't seem to have any damage either. The fuel sock was crusty and torn though. The o ring on the sending unit had some cracks.

Those 2 moulded lines coming off of the sending unit, do they really need those bends? They don't seem to serve a purpose, not readily available here in Australia, i was hoping to replace them with straight line. I am also replacing the fuel pump while I am at it, can't get the fitting off of the pump at the moment though to remove it, seems seized in place just rounding out on the wrench.

I'd really like to avoid buying a new sending unit if possible. This tank is really clean, only issue seems to be the sock which i think i will remove anyway since I am running a quality inline filter before the carb anyway.
those 'socks' are a pre-filter to the lines so junk doesn't clog the lines. and I seem to recall hearing on this forum somewhere that they are extremely difficult to source. so don't go wild just yet.

not smelling fuel or seeing it on the dipstick is a good sign.

with cracked o-rings that could cause problems by not having a good seal so may cause issues with sending fuel and sucking air.

A possible solution would be to install a Buick Roadmaster tank with electric fuel pump (I think that's right) in place of the stock tank. This swap is a known swap for those installing EFI and need higher fuel pressure to send to the EFI units.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts