El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out and about tonight and I finally got home and I park my elc, flip the key back and she doesn't shut off. Just keeps running. Pull the key, and still running. Repeat this like 4 times and it still won't shut off. So I start to Google, and not wanting to be rude to my neighbors, I shut my headlights off. Headlights went off, and the car finally shut off simultaneously with it. I feel like it may be a ground somewhere but I'm not sure, does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update, I've narrowed it down to the dimmer switch. Only when turned almost on, it won't allow my car to shut down

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
217 Posts
Sounds to me like ign switch might be malfunction. We need more basic info,and basic diagnosis info on your part to help. Like for examples,can you repeat this not shutting off unless headlights are shut off? Does it do same with headlights off completely? You need to learn the start circuit/determine how the car shuts off the ignition,and check/test those component. Things that come to mind are,ign switch, ign module, grounds in that circuit. Etc.be patient. Thos is very interesting post,and other more worthy /knowledgeable members will help.

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
217 Posts
Dimmer switch??!! Really? Try disconnecting the summer/headlights switch. If prob stops,bobs ur uncle,and change switch.that's soo weird tho.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was out and about tonight and I finally got home and I park my elc, flip the key back and she doesn't shut off. Just keeps running. Pull the key, and still running. Repeat this like 4 times and it still won't shut off. So I start to Google, and not wanting to be rude to my neighbors, I shut my headlights off. Headlights went off, and the car finally shut off simultaneously with it. I feel like it may be a ground somewhere but I'm not sure, does anyone have any advice?
Sounds as though someone either has some wires crossed or used the distributor/coil wire to power the headlights somehow or vise versa. That’s why when the lights are on it won’t shut down. The lights being on is somehow keeping the ignition powered up therefore it won’t shut down until the lights are off aka power is removed from ignition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts