El Camino Central Forum banner

Street car, Drag car, trailer queen, glad it made it to work today !

• Street car?

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Drag car ?

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Trailer queen ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glad it made it to work today ?

Votes: 4 22.2%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So still trying to get over this whatever it is so missed a Poll last Sunday. This kind of goes along with the how far your Elky will make it Poll. I was watching some old 60s dragstrip video's on Youtube since I have been stuck at home and it was so cool watching racers bring there cars to the strip on all kinds of vehicles. From home made trailers to converted buses to custom made haulers and of course ramp trucks ! Since the Roadkill episodes on Finnegan's Ramp truck the craze has grown and so have the prices! My youngest bought a 67 Ford F250 right before the craze to haul is 240SX SCCA car. He ran it for awhile with the 352/4sp but tranny was down to two gears so he upgraded it to a 460/5sp from a 98 F350. Of course the other inspiration was when my brother, he would drag race his 340 Duster on the weekends in the early 70s. The Duster was pretty new so reliability wasn't a huge issue but was his daily drive. But the weekend he change the stock rears to 411s gears it was a long trip to Dover dragstrip in Wingdale NY! Then there was the night on the street (not racing) it split the 727 torqueflite in half, still under warranty so Chrysler begrudgingly replaced it. I have said this before, if money was no object I would have a trailer queen, a street car and a drag car with something to haul it. Right now I'm just hoping my daily's drivetrain makes it till I can update it, so you can guess my answer ! LOL As always thanks for all the cool stories and responses!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Truck

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
My truck is not in one of the "Poll" categories.

It is not described as a show car (not fancy enough). It is a truck that takes me to Car Shows.
While there, I get to share time with good people.
Water Water resources Plant Fountain Liquid

·
Registered
874 Posts
I always really enjoy these weekly polls. I actually sold my daily driver Acura and bought my '82 in late 2018 under the hope that it would be used as a fun everyday car so I could spend some time and $$ on my GTO. Of course my Elco ended up being a basket case and my cammed, supercharged, twin disk clutch Pontiac has been struggling to fill the position as daily ever since. 3 years and roughly $10k-ish later, hopefully whenever I get my Elco back from the shop that's doing the rear end and driveshaft that I'll finally be able to give the GTO a rest and use/enjoy the Elco as I intended when I bought it.

·
National Director
1965 El Camino
820 Posts
Given the choices I picked street car. What it is to me is a Cruise Night and Show car. It never intentionally sees rain and as long as I own it it will never see snow or salt. Each year as money allows I do an improvement or improvements.

·
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always really enjoy these weekly polls. I actually sold my daily driver Acura and bought my '82 in late 2018 under the hope that it would be used as a fun everyday car so I could spend some time and $$ on my GTO. Of course my Elco ended up being a basket case and my cammed, supercharged, twin disk clutch Pontiac has been struggling to fill the position as daily ever since. 3 years and roughly $10k-ish later, hopefully whenever I get my Elco back from the shop that's doing the rear end and driveshaft that I'll finally be able to give the GTO a rest and use/enjoy the Elco as I intended when I bought it.
Thank you ! There have been some great stories and conversations so that makes me happy ! Hope you have a strong knee if your driving a double clutch on the street everyday ! Yeah I hear this story a lot about 5th gens, they can look good but mudded over to cover rust ! I warn everyone is have never owned one, well it's true with a lot of old muscle cars !

·
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Given the choices I picked street car. What it is to me is a Cruise Night and Show car. It never intentionally sees rain and as long as I own it it will never see snow or salt. Each year as money allows I do an improvement or improvements.
Yeah well a true drag car can be a bear to drive on the street but a nice street car can always make a cool pass down the quarter mile !

·
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My truck is not in one of the "Poll" categories.

It is not described as a show car (not fancy enough). It is a truck that takes me to Car Shows.
While there, I get to share time with good people. View attachment 141872
Yeah never really understood that, when a rat rod pull next to my Elky and everyone goes crazy ! Then they look at mine and say "Oh did you know you're missing a piece of chrome?" LOL

·
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great story, thanks for sharing.
Thank you, a life time of being around cars I have a few stories like a lot of us! I hope more people share there's, they are all cool ! Since I lost my brother and my best car buddy last year it feels good to share, helps keep in memory alive !
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Sky

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
544 Posts
Had a 340 in a 74 Dart Sport (same look as the Duster), that car would Move! Had a 81 Olds omega (Chevy nova) with a 250 straight-6, 3 on the floor and Dana-60 rear that'd roast tires in 3rd gear. Had a 72 Gremlin that was so rusted I blew IN the rear window going down the power line trails. I almost feel bad for today's kids, most only get to inherit the stories we older folks got to live. Our trucks have stories all their own, I feel it's our responsibility to leave these kids with legacy enough to create stories of their own.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,379 Posts
Had a 340 in a 74 Dart Sport (same look as the Duster), that car would Move! Had a 81 Olds omega (Chevy nova) with a 250 straight-6, 3 on the floor and Dana-60 rear that'd roast tires in 3rd gear. Had a 72 Gremlin that was so rusted I blew IN the rear window going down the power line trails. I almost feel bad for today's kids, most only get to inherit the stories we older folks got to live. Our trucks have stories all their own, I feel it's our responsibility to leave these kids with legacy enough to create stories of their own.
kinda like this huh?

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
544 Posts
Yes! Exactly lol. Went over a humpty, got all 4 tires off the ground or close enough, it was the landing that did that rear window in. 😂

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,379 Posts
Yes! Exactly lol. Went over a humpty, got all 4 tires off the ground or close enough, it was the landing that did that rear window in. 😂
oh yeah, was going down an inclined street @~45-50 mph on a motorcycle to an intersection where the cross street flattened out. hit hard, bottomed out the shock, went up in the air where both tires were off the ground, landed and kept going. how I didn't wipe out is still a mystery.... 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1974 classic 350sbc
36 Posts
Right now my 74 or 75 tirle says one thing vin says another, leans towards glad i made it to work category. Had the transmission rebuilt awhile back. This weekend dropping her off for engine overhaul. Putting vortec heads new springs valves rockers lifters. 268h cam, water pump, distubuter, belts, pulleys . Timing gear and chain.

·
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right now my 74 or 75 tirle says one thing vin says another, leans towards glad i made it to work category. Had the transmission rebuilt awhile back. This weekend dropping her off for engine overhaul. Putting vortec heads new springs valves rockers lifters. 268h cam, water pump, distubuter, belts, pulleys . Timing gear and chain.
Nice, on it's way to a street car !

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
My 78 Elk is a street hot rod. It has a 350 that my son built from a 73 that his grandad gave him. It has Corvette heads on it and a Comp Magnum cam in it. He talked about racing it so he wanted a Ford rear end so he could change the rear gears at the race track for the race and back so he could put it back on the road afterwards to drive home. I haven't put the Ford rear end in yet, so it stays a street rod.

·
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My 78 Elk is a street hot rod. It has a 350 that my son built from a 73 that his grandad gave him. It has Corvette heads on it and a Comp Magnum cam in it. He talked about racing it so he wanted a Ford rear end so he could change the rear gears at the race track for the race and back so he could put it back on the road afterwards to drive home. I haven't put the Ford rear end in yet, so it stays a street rod.
The best part of that story is the motor and the 3 generations involvement ! I wish my dad had been here to see his grandsons and be involved with there projects. I try every chance I get to keep his memory alive with his my stories !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts