El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread about speed shops reminded me of all the street racing that went on as I was trying to grow up. I broke a few parts and earned a few tickets. Just wondering how many here went street racing back in the day?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Oh yeah!! 1963 Corvette split window with the 327/340 horse (Isky solid cam) w/ 4-speed. Other then a really good go pedal, it was the most useless car I've ever owned!............1967 Camaro RS/SS convertible 350/295 horse (put in a Melling solid cam) C.R. 4-speed and a 3:73 posi rear. My last ticket with the Camaro was for drag racing. Had to pay the ticket, pay court costs, and had to take two classes about the dangers of street racing!..............1969 El Camino 350/300 (cam had been change when I bought the trucklet) w/4-speed and a 3:73 posi rear. I didn't do to much racing with the Elky though.
Sure was fun back then!!

Doug

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I grew up going along with my dad out on Woodward Ave. while he'd race whatever his hot rod of the month happened to be. I learned to speed shift without using the clutch before I ever had my driver license! When I finally moved out on my own and worked 2 full time jobs just to pay for my 68 GTO with a 455 4 spd, AND my 70 Firebird Formula 400-automatic, I called my dad and asked if he wanted to go look at a GTO that was for sale with me, of course he was game, so I went and picked him up IN my 68 gto, and we headed down Woodward Ave on a Saturday night. He had no idea his little girl had been racing for over a year on a weekly basis, so when we lined up next to a beefed up Ford Fairlane, and he realized what was happening he about had a heart attack! It was one of the most memorable nights of my life! He started telling me to quit being stupid, and I told him to "just hold the flashlite on my tach!" The look on his face was priceless and when I spanked that fairlane, I think that was the proudest my old man EVER was of me! LOL!! What fun that used to be! I just thought I'd share one of my old street racing stories...ahhh the good ol' days! :beer:
PS-I NEVER once got a ticket! (I shouldn't have said that...now I'll end up getting one!)

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I didn't race myself but on Friday nights we would meet at the thrifty's parking lot and all it took was someone with money saying let's go. There was a perfect road about a mile long in an industrial area with a white line. Once the race was over you get the hell out fast. Once in awhile someone would show up with a trailered car to race. Lots of fun back in the day.:secret:

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
I was at the ILLEGAL street races just about every Friday and Saturday night back in the late 80's. I lived in the Los Angeles area, so there were many different places to meet up. We'd find a place till the cops ran us off, then go to another place. We had about 5 different locations we reffered to as the track. Sometimes we'd meet at a K-Mart or large parking lot, then discuss racing and go to the track an run it and come back. Normally that didn't keep the cops away though cuz when you have 50-100 cars following each other, cops notice and tend to follow and see where we're going. Many times we'd meet in an indusrtial area that was closed down for the weekend, park in the biz parking lots, discuss the race details there and run it. When the cops showed up, run to your car and leave and follow the lead car to the next location about 5-10 miles away. FUN TIMES !!! Rarely did someone get hurt, but it did happen occasoionally. In fact, once had a fatality.

·
923 Posts
I didn't race myself but on Friday nights we would meet at the thrifty's parking lot and all it took was someone with money saying let's go. There was a perfect road about a mile long in an industrial area with a white line. Once the race was over you get the hell out fast. Once in awhile someone would show up with a trailered car to race. Lots of fun back in the day.:secret:
It was cool when a trailered car showed up. We had trailered cars doing high 8's and low 9's. Way to fast for a street race IMO. Now that's my opinion, but it wasn't back then. :beer:

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
I forgot to mention.... My 70 Mustang Mach I was totaled while I was racing it in Phoenix AZ, 1978. I rolled her at 110MPH and survived. I posted the before and after pics here before. She was a beauty. Now the dang model I had with all the options I had is worth as much as $70,000!!! I paid $2200 in 1976! :yell:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I was at the ILLEGAL street races just about every Friday and Saturday night back in the late 80's. I lived in the Los Angeles area, so there were many different places to meet up. We'd find a place till the cops ran us off, then go to another place. We had about 5 different locations we reffered to as the track. Sometimes we'd meet at a K-Mart or large parking lot, then discuss racing and go to the track an run it and come back. Normally that didn't keep the cops away though cuz when you have 50-100 cars following each other, cops notice and tend to follow and see where we're going. Many times we'd meet in an indusrtial area that was closed down for the weekend, park in the biz parking lots, discuss the race details there and run it. When the cops showed up, run to your car and leave and follow the lead car to the next location about 5-10 miles away. FUN TIMES !!! Rarely did someone get hurt, but it did happen occasoionally. In fact, once had a fatality.

You ever go to the street called Railroad it was ether Bell Gardens or Commerce off Garfield on one end and Eastern on the other. We also went to Crossroads in the City Of Industry.:secret: those INDUSTRIAL AREAS ARE GOST TOWNS ON WEEKENDS!!!!!

·
923 Posts
You ever go to the street called Railroad it was ether Bell Gardens or Commerce off Garfield on one end and Eastern on the other. We also went to Crossroads in the City Of Industry.:secret: those INDUSTRIAL AREAS ARE GOST TOWNS ON WEEKENDS!!!!!
Been to City of Industry many times right off the 60 and Hacienda. Not sure of the street name we used in the East LA a few times. I know of Eastern in BG but I tried to avoid those scarey areas, but I did see $20,000 drug money on the hood of a car once in the Commerce area before. $10K per car. There were probably 9 and 10 second cars and NO they didn't trailer them, but they weren't legal either.

In the Norwalk LaMirada area, we used Greenstone called " The Box " because it was a big L and the cops blocked both ends of the L and we were boxed in. So they thought. There was an alley that put us out on Shoemaker and we made our escape. But they soon figured that out too. We also used Shoemaker off of Carmenita, and also used Phoebee in La Mirada, and of course everyone knows of the street behind Nabisco off I5 Santa Ana Frwy. Good times !!! i am suprized I recall that much of the places we raced.

·
Registered
174 Posts
And you guys make me feel young again :beer:

I still go 2-3 times a month to the local hangouts to pick up a race or two. Last race was against a mustang 2v on nitrous in my vette. Beat him pretty badly.

Never got a speeding ticket in my vette but in my previous 2 daily drivers I have:dontknow:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Been to City of Industry many times right off the 60 and Hacienda. Not sure of the street name we used in the East LA a few times. I know of Eastern in BG but I tried to avoid those scarey areas, but I did see $20,000 drug money on the hood of a car once in the Commerce area before. $10K per car. There were probably 9 and 10 second cars and NO they didn't trailer them, but they weren't legal either.

In the Norwalk LaMirada area, we used Greenstone called " The Box " because it was a big L and the cops blocked both ends of the L and we were boxed in. So they thought. There was an alley that put us out on Shoemaker and we made our escape. But they soon figured that out too. We also used Shoemaker off of Carmenita, and also used Phoebee in La Mirada, and of course everyone knows of the street behind Nabisco off I5 Santa Ana Frwy. Good times !!! i am suprized I recall that much of the places we raced.
I know ever place your talking about. My Company is in Commerce one morning there was a van parked in one of our spots with blacked out windows. Big deal but my stupid brother called it in. I was standing by the roll up door smoking and talking to my warehouse guy and a cop pulled up and all hell broke loose I don't think he was in the bust but he triggered it. The van was D.E.A. PEOPLE CAME FLYING OUT OF THE VAN AND OTHER CARS. Across the alley was a beer bar they put everybody against the wall then brought out the dog it jumped on the hood and wanted to tear that car apart. In the door panels they pulled out 4 bricks(k's) coke I guess. I just looked at my brother and said way to go!!!!!:beer:

·
923 Posts
I mostly avoided the Commerce and East LA races. I stayed toward the Norwalk, LaMirada, LaHabra, City of Indrusty direction. The few times I showed up at the East LA and Commerce races, I seen many guns, many wads of cash, lots of threats, lots of drugs, and it took the fun out of it for me. Now in my hood, we tried to police ourselves. Didn't see much drugs, seen up to maybe $1000 cash, 2 cars with $500 each and that was about it but not $20K in drug money. If someone showed up drinking beer or alchol, smoking weed which was the worst someone at our crowd did, we'd run them off. And most respected us for that. We made sure we used trash cans for our trash, we kept the idiots that we could away. Racing is dangerous in itself, and illegal the way we did it, but we still tried to be as safe as possible doing it. And the cops knew it too at most locations. They'd run us off, but if they didn't witness someone racing, noone got tickets or went to jail, it was just time to leave and we did. Granted, there were some that got arrested for engaging in a speed contest and their car impounded, also ticketed a guy for participation in a speed contest cuz he flashlight started the race, but tickets and harrassment by the cops were rare. They knew we were trying to be responsible and didn't have any place to go race since no track was open in So Cal. I'd have no problems arresting those guys with 4 kilos of Coke. Good for your bro. Take the druggies, but leave the racers.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
we used to race all over the la area,buy the airport,scotties in whittier across from stick city,bell gardens at randolph ,the compton ,lynwood area . i quit going the night they started shooting guns over a lost race. not worth tha crap any more

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I mostly avoided the Commerce and East LA races. I stayed toward the Norwalk, LaMirada, LaHabra, City of Indrusty direction. The few times I showed up at the East LA and Commerce races, I seen many guns, many wads of cash, lots of threats, lots of drugs, and it took the fun out of it for me. Now in my hood, we tried to police ourselves. Didn't see much drugs, seen up to maybe $1000 cash, 2 cars with $500 each and that was about it but not $20K in drug money. If someone showed up drinking beer or alchol, smoking weed which was the worst someone at our crowd did, we'd run them off. And most respected us for that. We made sure we used trash cans for our trash, we kept the idiots that we could away. Racing is dangerous in itself, and illegal the way we did it, but we still tried to be as safe as possible doing it. And the cops knew it too at most locations. They'd run us off, but if they didn't witness someone racing, noone got tickets or went to jail, it was just time to leave and we did. Granted, there were some that got arrested for engaging in a speed contest and their car impounded, also ticketed a guy for participation in a speed contest cuz he flashlight started the race, but tickets and harrassment by the cops were rare. They knew we were trying to be responsible and didn't have any place to go race since no track was open in So Cal. I'd have no problems arresting those guys with 4 kilos of Coke. Good for your bro. Take the druggies, but leave the racers.

I here you I did my bit years ago and now a fishing pole is all I need but I would like to have another black lab. It's about time to buy a house I've been waiting and it should bottom out here by the end of the year. It was stupid I saw the whole thing coming houses with five roofs in a neighborhood of multi-colored paint were going for $400,000.00 and they were selling them and tearing them down and put a MC Mansion next to single story homes.:dontknow:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Back in the eighties I had a 70 Mach 1 428 cj. We went street racing every Friday and Saturday night. I was young and stupid and ragged that car out .:poke:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Back in the eighties I had a 70 Mach 1 428 cj. We went street racing every Friday and Saturday night. I was young and stupid and ragged that car out .:poke:
I love that look.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I totaled my '66 4-4-2 back in 1973 racing at the Nabisco plant in Buena Park. I knocked down 100' of chainlink fence that bordered the 14' drainage ditch I flew across. I hit the embankment on the other side after slowing down to about 50 miles an hour. I lost the race to a 400 small block Vega.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I totaled my '66 4-4-2 back in 1973 racing at the Nabisco plant in Buena Park. I knocked down 100' of chainlink fence that bordered the 14' drainage ditch I flew across. I hit the embankment on the other side after slowing down to about 50 miles an hour. I lost the race to a 400 small block Vega.

You coming up to Pismo with us the end of July? If you don't have the funds I'm going alone in my truck and will pay the gas and split the room with you.
Robert

·
923 Posts

Sad story !!! Several of those kind of stories at Nabisco though. Been a place for racers for years and years. We were racing there in the the late 80's, you said 73, so almost 20 years between you and I racing at the same place. Some good things just never change. Hopefully they are still racing there today. (Although, it still not the safest place to be, So Cal needs some tracks bad.)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts