El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I'm having my El Camino painted.
It will be very dark purple almost black looking. It will have a cowl hood on it like the 1970-72's. I want to put the SS stripes on it. My question is...

1) Paint the stripes silver to match all the chrome.
2) Paint ghost stripes a lighter shade of purple.

Man I'm on the fence on this one. :? Here's a picture of the stripes I'm talking about...

The body guy said he needs to know by midweek...because he's ready to start painting! He said he be bringing
it up by the end of the month. I can't wait! :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hmmm...always a tough one when it comes down to something as important as this.

Contrast in color is so important on how you want your car to be seen. Two things to remember...First of all both of your thoughts on color are very nice it is just a matter on how visual you want your car to be. Keep in mind dark ghost stripes always look real cool when you are standing right next to the car other wise from a distance you have no stripes! I like your first choice of the silver because I love visual stimulation! :oops: (I know what male doesn't) Anyway keep in mind also using a ligter color stripe on the dark cowl hood will make the cowl raised part stand out as you will be able to see the curves much better.

You have done a great job on your car and it looks great so far. I'm sure what ever choice you make you will be happy with it. Don't forget to send us an updated picture or two of it when it's done!

Dave

·
Registered
492 Posts
One more thing...remember gost stripes and such can be very "trendy" and I think you can never go wrong with the classic stripe look that never goes out of style. I have heard the complaint used "oh everyone has the classic stripes" be different. Just remember there is a reason why chevrolet placed them on there in the first place...To scare the hell out of those Ford/Mopar drivers!!....again just my 2 cents.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very well put Dave! :cool:
I think I'll have to agree with you. 8)
If you want to see some pics of the work being done to the hood...
check out my website...

Gallery 6

Gallery 7

·
164 Posts
I'm partial to Silver. They have some really neat silvers that will really compliment the car as well as add some contrast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts