El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one trans. pan bolt that will tighten a bit but is stripped so I can't tighten it right so before it's stripped all the way can I tap it to the next size or do they sell inserts? If I need to tap it what size and thread type tap should I use. I do have a nice tap set at work but we use it to tap metal enclosures so I need to know does the tap need to be a course thread or does it matter when going bigger? Can I do this without removing the pan?:beer:
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
tap it to the next size bigger, then use a stud/nut to avoid this problem again. course or fine won't matter, unless you want it to match the other pan bolts.

myself, I would tap it to metric the next 1/2 size bigger, if it's SAE now. If metric now, tap to the next 1/2 size bigger SAE.

:poke:

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tap it to the next size bigger, then use a stud/nut to avoid this problem again. course or fine won't matter, unless you want it to match the other pan bolts.

myself, I would tap it to metric the next 1/2 size bigger, if it's SAE now. If metric now, tap to the next 1/2 size bigger SAE.

:poke:
I can do that but is it ok to do with the pan on?
Thanks

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,586 Posts
The more expensive, but proper way to do it is to get a Heli-Coil kit from your local parts store. When I worked for GM, we had to do this all the time on our test transmissions, since we assembled and disassembled them so much we'd just wear out threads in the aluminum case. You may or may not have to remove the pan, depending on the location of the bad hole.

Bill

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking the heli-coil also but I never thought of drilling it all the way through? Sounds like another place to leak but better than nothing last resort for sure.:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I just had a heli-coil put in on my tranny pan, for the same reason. Doesn't leak any more.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Heli-Coil is by far the best choice

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
578 Posts
The case should be aluminum,I don't see why threading the hole larger,wouldn't be the smartest way to repair easily.
The pan doesn't require a ton of torque,and it's not a structural part.
I don't like small jobs that turn into nightmares.
YMMV

D

·
0 Posts
real simple, a heli coil is a stronger repair, it is the correct repair as you will use the same size bolt every where, and if you go to the next sized bolt and those threads pull out, what are you going to do then ?

Anything other than a Heli coil is a band aide where stitches are needed

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This is wat Jegs is showing for the trans. bolts is this correct 1987 th2004r pan bolts. Want to make sure I'm starting with the correct size before I start drilling. If I go with tapping a new hole what size tap would I need to use? For the heli-coil do I go by the original bolt size for the kit? Does it say to repair bolt hole size?

FYI
Get this the very first episode of Jeff's Lassie just came on and the dog was in the will that's how Timmy got her. I didn't hear who died.

size 1/4x20x 1/2 inch correct?

Trans Dapt 9271 - Trans Dapt Chrome Oil Pan Bolts Details

Oil Pan Bolt Set; 0.25-20 x 0.5 in. 14 pc. Bolts; 0.3125-18 x 0.5 in. 4 pc. Bolts; Hex Head; Chrome Plated; Grade 5 Bolts;

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
If installing a Heli-coil, the hole in the pan will have to be enlarged, since the Heli-coil is a bit bigger than that hole. Drilling that hole bigger with the pan on may let the drill bit grab on & drill into the aluminum case a bit. Best way to do it right is to remove the pan. If the oil is new, run it through a paint strainer before putting it back in, but don't re-use the gasket of course.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If installing a Heli-coil, the hole in the pan will have to be enlarged, since the Heli-coil is a bit bigger than that hole. Drilling that hole bigger with the pan on may let the drill bit grab on & drill into the aluminum case a bit. Best way to do it right is to remove the pan. If the oil is new, run it through a paint strainer before putting it back in, but don't re-use the gasket of course.
I get that but how do i select the correct heli-coil kit to buy? to fix 1/4x20 bolt hole? Just want to make sure these auto stores have thrown me a bummer more than once so I like to know what to get before I get there.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,948 Posts
parts book says it's a metric bolt ! See my post with the Parts book pic & info on your Quick trans. question before going to get parts !

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
parts book says it's a metric bolt ! See my post with the Parts book pic & info on your Quick trans. question before going to get parts !
$125.00 hum starting to look better every day. If forgot you posted the trans. parts already.:poke:

How much to know what size?:poke::nanawrench:

That's the problem with the 1987 they used all the left over stock at the end of production so I have both. I have an extra bolt I can take down to the hwd. store to make sure. i JUST DON'T KNOW HOW YOU PICK OUT THE RIGHT KIT NEVER DONE IT. iT MUST SAY TO FIX STRIPPED XXX?

I already have a really good tap set so can I buy the heli-coil and use one of my pulley kit pullers or installers to install it?

O.K. GOOGLE

Print this article

Things You'll Need

Heli Coil thread repair kit
Thread gauge
Specified tap/drill bit

Show (6) More
Instructions

Identify the size of the original bolt by matching the hexagonal head to a standard wrench. Double check the size and pitch of the thread with a thread gauge. Each blade in a set of thread gauges has a serrated edge. Place various serrated edges in turn on the bolt thread until you find one that matches. The bolt size will be stamped on the side of the gauge.

Select the matching tap from the Heli Coil kit. This will have a slightly larger diameter than the original bolt, but both threads will be identical. The correct tap/drill size will be stamped on the end of th

Read more: How to Repair a Heli Coil Thread | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6555790_repair-heli-coil-thread.html#ixzz25GIg94Ci

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,948 Posts
I don't know why they used metric & sae stuff ! here is a example of both ! mounting the AC ! See the parts list metric & sae hardware used !

·
Registered
135 Posts
Think about this. Try not to over complicate it. Take the bolt that fits into the stripped hole to the hardware store. Try various nuts till you get the one that fits. Look on the bin that the nut is in. That is the size of the thread. Then go to the helicoil section and buy the same size helicoil kit. It will have the correct tap. It will also tell you what size drill to use. Do not try to do it with out taking off the pan. Follow the instructions on the helicoil kit. When you bolt it back. Do not over tighten any of the other bolts. 1/4 inch bolts and smaller strip out really easy using the big wrenchs. Be gentle. Have fun.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Think about this. Try not to over complicate it. Take the bolt that fits into the stripped hole to the hardware store. Try various nuts till you get the one that fits. Look on the bin that the nut is in. That is the size of the thread. Then go to the helicoil section and buy the same size helicoil kit. It will have the correct tap. It will also tell you what size drill to use. Do not try to do it with out taking off the pan. Follow the instructions on the helicoil kit. When you bolt it back. Do not over tighten any of the other bolts. 1/4 inch bolts and smaller strip out really easy using the big wrenchs. Be gentle. Have fun.

Got the bolt in my pocket that's the plan I was just asking about the helcoil because i never even seen one till today and I didn't know if it shows on the package what size it fills.
Went out and it hasn't leaked for two days.:secret:

I know simple thats why I asked and almost got the answer till you DONE!!!!

THANKS
EVERYBODY
ROBERT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts