El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice- When cold, the elky really struggles to start. It turns over just fine, in fact i don't like to ride it for more than a few turns so i usually give it 3 or 4 different attempts to try and start it before she actually cranks up.

I usually give it a little gas when i first get in to help it along but i'm wondering if there are any ideas as to things i can investigate and try to fix it myself before I spend the time and & taking it to the shop.

Once its warm it'll start right up, its only in the morning or if its been sitting a while that i have to say a little prayer while turning the key to hope she roars to life.

Any ideas you have are appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
What type of choke do you have?

I just bought mine recently and had to pump the accelerator a few times when the engine was cold, it always started but idled low and rough until it began to warm up. It has an electric choke and someone had turned the choke heater around until it manually held the choke open. I turned it back and the choke closed and the idle was faster but the choke did not open as it warmed up. Checked and there was no voltage on the positive wire going to the choke. Restored power to the electric choke and now it is adjusted properly and works like it is supposed to.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Assuming it has a Qjet, you could have leaky core plugs. This is common with that carb and allows the fuel to drain out of the float bowl when it sits a while. Also you need to check the choke adjustment. With a cold engine, push the accelerator to the floor and let off, but do not start it. Then remove the air cleaner lid and check to see if the choke blade is fully closed.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
maybe it's just old. Anymore I take 3-4 attempts before I get going in the mornings when I'm cold too!

:???:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'll start with the choke issues and try to knock them off one by one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In all likely hood your choke is not working, since you say there is no problem when the engine is warm. As a test, when the engine is stone cold remove the air cleaner housing and open the throttle. The choke flap should snap partially to mostly closed. If it doesn't then the choke needs to be adjusted.

·
0 Posts
Have you made sure the mechanincs of the choke are working? Have you sprayed the carb with carb and choke cleaner? This is assuming you have a qjet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i haven't done either of those so i'll start with that and see if i can solve it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts