El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of life's lessons I have yet to learn is to SLOW DOWN when tearing into a project.

The heater core started leaking so I ordered a new one and proceeded to take everything apart to install the new one. How tough can this be........

Well damn tough if you get in such a hurry that you fail to see one of the little screws hidden in the bottom recess of the cover near the firewall !!!

I thought it was just a sealent issue so after 20 minutes of prying and pulling on the cover it did come off....but I cracked it in about 8 places !!! (Not to mention ripping out a small segment around the little screw I failed to see.)

Fortunately I've had a good deal of experience with fiberglass work so three hours later its all patched up, sanded, painted and ready to install!

The moral of the story ...Missing even one screw can ruin your day....:beer:

Arnie in Iowa

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I would think you might not be the first guy to ever do that!;)

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
It's better to break some things because you missed one screw removing than to break some things cause you missed one screw replacing!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,672 Posts
DDD broken is broken unless broken causes breakage, breakage leeds to carnage and that causes death to rotating parts, stationary parts not so bad.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,672 Posts
Then I did good, hope you did not break to many parts!!!!!:poke:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Found and removed the two "hidden screws "and am now working on getting the top pried away from the firewall. I guess there must be some screws holding it to the firewall under all the hardened goop. Is the procedure just to keep scraping away the goop until I find the screws?Although I think with all that goop ,screws would not be rquired but design practice would call for them. Anyone know how many screws I'm looking for?
"Search" found several frustrated people with also having to replce a core. Add another one.

George (79 Elco)

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,780 Posts
Found and removed the two "hidden screws "and am now working on getting the top pried away from the firewall. I guess there must be some screws holding it to the firewall under all the hardened goop. Is the procedure just to keep scraping away the goop until I find the screws?Although I think with all that goop ,screws would not be rquired but design practice would call for them. Anyone know how many screws I'm looking for?
"Search" found several frustrated people with also having to replce a core. Add another one.

George (79 Elco)

This thread should help you !!

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=44578

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks Steve. From one of the pictures it looks like there are three fasteners to the firewall. That complete area with the fasteners is covered with tenatious black rubberized gunk and I couldn't locate the fasteners.That picture made my day and saved me a lot of work.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I wish I could have a buck for everything I ever broke by getting "physical" with it. At least the problem is solved.

·
Registered
177 Posts
OK,with the help of the instruction thread I was able to find the screws holding the cover to the firewall under a 1/4 inch of black gunk sealer but had to grind an 1/8 inch strip of thick sheet metal about 5' long projecting from the firewall at the blower end to allow the cover to be raised high enough to be removed. So much for the hard part. I removed the clamp at the top of the core which loosened it but cannot see the bottom clip to allow it to be pulled out. Fearing breaking something, I don't want to use a lot of force to pry it up without knowing the proper way to release the clip.This shouldn't be that hard and I hope someone can direct me.
Maybe the clip can be seen by looking down alongside on the inboard side and it is just that this 81 year old overweight guy has trouble getting his head back far enough to peer down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts