El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,946 Posts
I have no experience with this particular combo but don't see any reason it would not be fine on your engine. All you need for the choke is a, 12v with the key "on", circuit. The wiper motor would be one source to tap into.

· Deputy National Director
10,531 Posts
Mountain man told me they have a kit to change the hot air choke to electric. If I'm not mistaken !! Might save you some money instead of buying a new carb & intake ??

· Registered
578 Posts
I believe the Summit intakes are cast by Weiand.
I've bought quite a few Summit branded parts...they all have fit well and worked good.
I intend to keep using them as the savings really add up once you figure the total cost.

· Registered
1966 El Camino
2,294 Posts
x2 on Summit = Weiand. However the design is weiand, the castings are chinese, and the machining is done in the US. I just had delivered a Summit stage 3 (weiand air gap) and based on comparison with a wieand version I feel comfortable saying its the weiand design. The casting is slightly rougher but the machining was fine.

I see no reason yet to think it wont perform just fine.

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok So im think im just gonna get the carburetor and keep the intake i have and use an adapter plate. But how would i connect the brake booster vacumm because now it is connected in my quadrajet with a metal fitting and the back of the summit carb doesent have it to thread in to.

· Registered
1966 El Camino
2,294 Posts
How much savings is there over buying the name brand made in USA part?

You should always try to buy the made in America parts. Afterall you don't live in freakin China. Support your Country.

~JM~
About 32% in this case - while I'm all for buying American, its becoming increasingly impossible to do so reliably - There are Toyotas that are "more american" than american cars in percentage of american made componants.

In that vien, the summit manifolds are only Cast in china, the percentage of the money made by selling the manifold that goes to china is more than likely infinitessimal. Summit/weiand make the lions share of the money and they are american.

· Registered
1966 El Camino
2,294 Posts
ok So im think im just gonna get the carburetor and keep the intake i have and use an adapter plate. But how would i connect the brake booster vacumm because now it is connected in my quadrajet with a metal fitting and the back of the summit carb doesent have it to thread in to.
Use the vacuum fitting off the rear runner on the manifold

· Registered
74 Posts
About 32% in this case - while I'm all for buying American, its becoming increasingly impossible to do so reliably - There are Toyotas that are "more american" than american cars in percentage of american made componants.

In that vien, the summit manifolds are only Cast in china, the percentage of the money made by selling the manifold that goes to china is more than likely infinitessimal. Summit/weiand make the lions share of the money and they are american.
Don't try to rationalyze or trivialize the situation. Its out of hand & everyone needs to wake up. You really need to buy American (with a capital "A") as much as you possibly can.

~JM~

· Registered
2,686 Posts
After buying engine parts for Buick 455's, Pontiac 400's, and a 425 Nailhead, I think quality USA made parts for Chevrolets are cheap. Buy used and refurbish it. I could really go off on Chinese parts and the American consumer mentality....

· Registered
74 Posts
After buying engine parts for Buick 455's, Pontiac 400's, and a 425 Nailhead, I think quality USA made parts for Chevrolets are cheap. Buy used and refurbish it. I could really go off on Chinese parts and the American consumer mentality....
Glad to see that I'm not the only one. I found an Edelbrock Performer on eBay for less than $50. I picked up a Holley 450cfm carb core & rebuilt it. I had the manifold bead blasted & then I painted it silver to prevent the raw aluminum from corroding. Picked up an air cleaner, gaskets & all the other odds & ends, etc. Still think I have about $200 in the project. That small carb & manifold really works well on my otherwise stock 305.

~JM~

· Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Strictly my personal opinion: If you're just gonna buy a carb, buy from Mountain Man.
He will build you a carb for the engine/intake/cam you have. It will run you more money, but you will have a custom built carb to install. Call Ardell and get a quote.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.