El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

Just thought I'd throw this our there for discussion and opinions based on personal experience.

After Amazon "lost" another engine component I ordered recently, I am curious what you all think is the best "one-stop" source for performance parts for our beloved Elks.

Summit? Jegs? Give Amazon one more chance? Or possibly other vendors? If so, which ones and why? Curious not only about variety and good prices but also staff knowledge, customer service, return policy, friendliness, etc.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and examples.

John

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,704 Posts
I’ve had good luck with all, Amazon has been my Togo lately because of prime shipping is fast and free returns, and they have lots of stuff, I prefer summit over jegs, but they are slow to ship and no free returns. I use eBay if I need something hard to find same with Craigslist, but haven’t been CL in awhile, been buying more new than used lately 👍

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve had good luck with all, Amazon has been my Togo lately because of prime shipping is fast and free returns, and they have lots of stuff, I prefer summit over jegs, but they are slow to ship and no free returns. I use eBay if I need something hard to find same with Craigslist, but haven’t been CL in awhile, been buying more new than used lately 👍
No free returns with Summit? What about incorrect or damaged orders or defective parts? I assume they pay for return shipping for those?

·
Premium Member
'71 (in 1350 pieces)
65 Posts
My experience with Summit is a little different. I am close to a Summit Retail store so I don't have to deal with the shipping aspect. I had an ordeal with a really poorly made cowl flapper door hood for my Silverado and Summit made it right even though the manufacturer wouldn't stand behind their product. I have been buying stuff from them since the early 80s and they have always been good to me. It was all mail order back then when they ran ads in the magazines like Car Craft.

That being said, the pandemic has been keeping me out of the stores. I have not been buying car parts. Some tool related stuff through Amazon.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I ordered some parts on a Sunday night.
Jegs: got my Taylor wires on Tuesday, in a correctly sized box and well packed.
Rockauto: 3 weeks later the coil finally arrived after filling out not-received form, no confirmation of shipping email. Second coil arrived the next day forcing a return email.
Summit: Cap and rotor kit, no rotor in the box, they sent another kit, 2 weeks total wait.
Amazon: if you have Prime, it's nice, but their pricing isn't always competitive.
Opgi: factory style rear swaybar looked like it was rescued from a junkyard and spray painted before it got sanded or cleaned. Box was ripped almost in half, paint was scratched and gouged, the grade8 bolts were larger diameter than the holes in the arms and a funky thread count. They stripped out easily. Cheap. Was easier to simply replace the bolts with real grade8's from Tractor Supply with a common thread count.

All in all, if Jegs has what I need, they'd be my first choice.

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My experience with Summit is a little different. I am close to a Summit Retail store so I don't have to deal with the shipping aspect. I had an ordeal with a really poorly made cowl flapper door hood for my Silverado and Summit made it right even though the manufacturer wouldn't stand behind their product. I have been buying stuff from them since the early 80s and they have always been good to me. It was all mail order back then when they ran ads in the magazines like Car Craft.

That being said, the pandemic has been keeping me out of the stores. I have not been buying car parts. Some tool related stuff through Amazon.
Jeesh, Car Craft. Man does that take me back like 25 years!

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered some parts on a Sunday night.
Jegs: got my Taylor wires on Tuesday, in a correctly sized box and well packed.
Rockauto: 3 weeks later the coil finally arrived after filling out not-received form, no confirmation of shipping email. Second coil arrived the next day forcing a return email.
Summit: Cap and rotor kit, no rotor in the box, they sent another kit, 2 weeks total wait.
Amazon: if you have Prime, it's nice, but their pricing isn't always competitive.
Opgi: factory style rear swaybar looked like it was rescued from a junkyard and spray painted before it got sanded or cleaned. Box was ripped almost in half, paint was scratched and gouged, the grade8 bolts were larger diameter than the holes in the arms and a funky thread count. They stripped out easily. Cheap. Was easier to simply replace the bolts with real grade8's from Tractor Supply with a common thread count.

All in all, if Jegs has what I need, they'd be my first choice.
Thanks for the detail Karadjgne. I have an order I was going to place with Summit and I think I'll give Jegs a try. Same price.

·
Premium Member
'71 (in 1350 pieces)
65 Posts
The one I had the most problems with was Super Shops. I used to go over the hill to Tognotti's in Sacramento. That was a real Speed Shop, it has not been the same since the tragedy.

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one I had the most problems with was Super Shops. I used to go over the hill to Tognotti's in Sacramento. That was a real Speed Shop, it has not been the same since the tragedy.
Wow, I remember the Super Shops we had in Escondido back when I was a kid. Wasn't much else back then besides the 10,000 Auto Parts store.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
How is Rock Auto for more common parts like starter, alternator etc?
Do they ship quick and have good return policies?

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
I've had good luck with all of them! I use Amazon mostly. But have finished the build and now mostly odd bits and pieces. Covid-19 has been messing with all shipping it seems? 🤬 If you need shoes or boots etc. Zappo's is a good source! Free returns within 1 year. (y)(y):cool:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Atlanta has a great ‘speed shop’ named Barnett Performance, they’re my first try for performance parts. Summit is awesome if you’re near them (I’m an hour from their McDonough Ga store). I’ve never used Jegs. Amazon is great for original equipment stuff but often (for OE parts) your order comes from a dealership that includes their direct contact info in the package. Save that and try them direct for your next item and build a little loyalty. Rock is often the best price but you need to be sure of what you need (i.e. blue connector or black? square or round coil? pinch tab or hook?) in order to avoid shipping stuff back. Their prices are much better than the chains for good stuff. Watch out for shipping if you’re buying multiples; they may come from different places. I prefer to support a local parts store if I can (recently bought a Timken hub assembly from Parks Auto Parts near Charleston SC). I didn’t even call the chains; I tried Advance’s online catalog afterward and found it difficult to use and full of chinese hubs for more than Parks quoted Timken, quickly and without dumb questions, over the phone.
Patrick

·
Registered
52 Posts
Summit is my go to. If they don't have it I google it, will buy Jegs if they have it. The summit site works much better. Amazon is ok and will always make right if there is an issue, but I don't often use them for car parts.

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How is Rock Auto for more common parts like starter, alternator etc?
Do they ship quick and have good return policies?
I've never used Rock Auto Old Bear so I don't know. I've just seen the cool commercials.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I've used rock auto with good results. That said you need to be sure what you want. IMO summit is a class act. Had issues that were not their fault (manufacturer) but they gave it 1000%. Got me the right parts and took back the wrong ones with no shipping on my part. Also had a part ordered on Fri, received Sat and card wasn't even charged until Monday. I stay away from Amazon. Don't agree with their politics 🤣

·
Registered
517 Posts
Amazon is always my go to because of that sweet sweet one day shipping but if they don't have it then Summit is the backup. Both companies have been good to me when I've had issues with products. I got a cowl hood through Summit once that was dented in pretty good during shipping and they sent me another right away. Got the replacement quickly too.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,058 Posts
Summit is my go to simply because their ground shipping is the exact same thing as next day air here in san diego, I've had good success with rockauto (just got a new electric fan from them yesterday) Jegs is good but i rarely use them, Amazon is fine as well but their price is rarely competitive.

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Summit is my go to simply because their ground shipping is the exact same thing as next day air here in san diego, I've had good success with rockauto (just got a new electric fan from them yesterday) Jegs is good but i rarely use them, Amazon is fine as well but their price is rarely competitive.
Good info fauxrs. Whereabouts in San Diego are you? I'm up in North County.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have used them all. I look Rock auto it is famliy owned. I try them first. the price with teh shipping usually beats everyone else.I always find a 5% coupon . I have all the big parts stores near me for a qiuck Item I prefer Orielly's or Napa. Here is a hint with the local place especially Advance Auto. Sign into your account if you are going to buy some thing put it in your cart. then close your browser. A Lot of time they will email you a 20 -25% coupon overnight . I try to buy items with a lifetime warranty Starter/alternator etc so I usually look for that. Dont forget about Mike's Montes or Dixie Restoration sometime they have the harder to find stuff.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts