El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a young gun building my first car from the ground up(70 El Camino) and I am researching everything before I really dive in. The engine is gonna be a 383 small block putting out 400-450 HP and same torque with 3.36 rear end and I'm gonna put a 4 speed behind it. But I looked at the Richmond Super T-10 but the one I want use advertises 325 Ft lb of torque max, will it hold up? or should I go with a muncie? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I have a Borg Warner Super T-10 that I will be installing in my Elky after I finish building the engine for it. It was originally in a 455 Trans Am and has been used behind a 427 in both a Nova and a Vette according to the guy I bought it from. I think that as far as strength goes the Super T-10 and the M-22 are pretty much equal in comparision. Although the aluminum transmission case bosses (where trans bolts to bellhousing) are prone to cracking when used with high torque motors. I am comfortable with installing it behind a small block motor that should be producing around 425 ft lbs of torque when completed. I have considered switching to a cast iron case but for now i'll stick with the aluminum and see what happens. If you ever got the chance to look at the diameter of the output shafts of a Super T-10 and a 400THD, you would probably be comfortable installing a Super T-10, unless of course you plan on doing 7000 RPM holeshots everytime the stoplight changes. I think the M-22 would take just as much abuse as the Super T-10, and I would have used a M-22 if I had gotten a deal on it like a got on the Super T-10.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
If you remember all early GM four speeds were T-10s and they held up well behind the 409s and 360hp Corvette engines. When GM started to produce the Muncies in the mid-'60s they had several years of experience with the Borg Warner T-10 so you know that the Muncies had some design advantages over the T-10s. The M22 was an option for the big block Gen IV engines. L88s and ZL1s produced over 550 ftlbs of torque so you know the're plenty strong. For street use the M22 is not a good choice--it's hard shifting and very noisy. The Borg Warner T-10 is an improved T-10. I think the Borg Warner shifts smoother than the Muncies but either trans would be a good choice in your Elky.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I know you didn't ask about the OD trannies, but look into a Tremec before you decide on anything. I swear it's the best thing you can do. Stronger than the Muncie or the T-10 and OD to boot.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Yes an overdrive is a good idea. You can also consider the T56 six speed. They are available used and there are kits available for installation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts