El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I’m new to this forum and I’ve just bought an Elcamino SS 454 on a 1971, I’m in the uk and looking for help, I would like to raise the car a little at the rear and just wondering how big I can go on the wheels without catching issues, I would like to stay with 17” but I’m happy for any help, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
ahhhhh, UK, the land of such classics as Monty Python and Jaguar XKE's. someone with a 3rd gen will chip in soon, but first, Welcome!

other things to consider: are you planning on keeping it stock in regards to brakes and suspension? do you have a particular set of wheels in mind? aftermarket or old Chevy wheels? that will help inform a correct response.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahhhhh, UK, the land of such classics as Monty Python and Jaguar XKE's. someone with a 3rd gen will chip in soon, but first, Welcome!

other things to consider: are you planning on keeping it stock in regards to brakes and suspension? do you have a particular set of wheels in mind? aftermarket or old Chevy wheels? that will help inform a correct response.
I’m happy to change whatever is necessary to be fair if I can get hold of things, I was thinking about American racing thrust II unless you can recommend anything else.

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would not raise the rear end of that car. It will take away positive caster that is allready in short supply with that suspension.. Best to keep it level and low, or even raise the front a little like the 60s Gassers..

If that car still has the stock front and rear control arms forget it. The stock suspension positive cambers during compression. In other words when you panic stop half the tire comes up off the pavement. Now when you have soft 225/70r15 tires its ok but when you have those stiff short sidewall modern tires you loose a lot of contract right when you need it, a panic stop.. Best to stay with the 225/70r15.

I have a 69 and do my own suspension work including alignments.. I highly recommend a modern suspension like the SC&C, UMI or if you can afford it the Detroit Speed which is the ultimate... Stay away from poly control arm bushings too.. I have the SC&C Stage III, Lee 14:1 box with Spohn Del Sphere rear control arms in the back. Love it!! I also have a Hella front Sway bar, no rear bar needed..

My car looks stock but takes the twistys as well as any new performance car, I get a lot of puzzled looks when I stay right on there tails on the sharp bends we have here in Western Pa..

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,563 Posts
Hi Guys, I’m new to this forum and I’ve just bought an Elcamino SS 454 on a 1971, I’m in the uk and looking for help, I would like to raise the car a little at the rear and just wondering how big I can go on the wheels without catching issues, I would like to stay with 17” but I’m happy for any help, thanks in advance.
Nobby , Welcome from the Florida Keys and glad you found us . Depending on how much you want to do/spend , the advise given by Pitts64 is above my level of knowledge and has some good points . From the nice photo , it looks to me that it sits lower in the rear . A cheaper and fairly easy route to go to achieve a slight raise in the back ( withour replacing springs etc. ) , would be to add Drag Bag air shocks/bladder that you can adjust the pressure/height in the rear . For over 10 years , I have run with the Drag Bags ( Air-lift 1000 ) , and love them . Had to replace one bag in that time . They have been out for a long time and available from numerous places such as Summit Racing . The rubber blader fits inside the springs . You can adjust the pressure to each wheel seperately or together as I see on most street Caminos . They are not high pressure like the regular/factory air bags and hold about a max of 35 lbs. pressure . One of our site`s nice features in the " Search Community " , feature at the top of the page that will pull up tons of info . Try typing in " Drag Bags " . A good one is entitled " I have been reading shock/spring threads for two hours " , posted by Fl_Preacher in the " Suspension and Steering " forums on Sept. 2014 . Friends Fl Kymino and 87next2last1 have them and posted . I know of at least 10 others in our group that love theirs . Again , I would not go with regular air shocks myself unless you will be using it a a serious work truck . A pair of nice adjustable shocks would be nice if you want to spend a little more coin .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts