El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal Im going to be rebuilding the suspension on my 1977 El Camino soon & i would like to do everything myself then just take it to the shop to get the alignment done. Here is a list/links to the tools I plan to buy 2 do this job, if anyone thinks Im missing something or dont really need something let me know

Performance Tool Bearing Splitters
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Performance-Tool-Bearing-Splitters/1944469/10002/-1
(Not sure what size i need)

Ball Joint Separator
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/80622/10002/-1?parentProductId=756227

Internal Coil Spring Compressor
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/W89311/10002/-1?parentProductId=

Tie Rod End and Pitman Arm Puller
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Tie-Rod-End-and-Pitman-Arm-Puller/756225/10002/-1
(not sure wich one 2 get)

Also I know I need some kinda Bushing removal/installing tool or kit but im not 100% sure wick size I need or a good brand

Im not dead set on ordering this stuff from Jegs so if anyone can give me any info on these suspension tools or anything elese I need let me know it will help me out alot....Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
Out here O'Reilieys lets you borrow all these tools for free. You have to "buy" the tools at full price but they give a full refund when you bring them back. Not kidding you or a scam, that is just the way they work it in case someone does not bring them back. I have changed several front ends this way.

Suggest you buy the pickle fork for yourself though, it comes in handy on many things.

If you don't have a place there that does this, you can usually find a rental yard that rents them.

Good luck, let us know if you have any questions or read some of the other threads.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,608 Posts
You can rent all the tools for nothing at napa auto parts. I used their spring compressor tool to do my front suspension and it worked perfect. Even better it didn't cost me anything.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ the 2 guys that just posted I want to buy all these tools cuz Ive got my 2 cars & my brother has 4 rides so thats 6 RWD full frame GM rides & they all need suspension rebuilds so its better if I just buy them so I will have them in my tool box when ever I need them

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out here O'Reilieys lets you borrow all these tools for free. Suggest you buy the pickle fork for yourself though, it comes in handy on many things.

Good luck, let us know if you have any questions
Just so Im 100% clear is the pickle fork the same thing as this??
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/80622/10002/-1?parentProductId=756227

Also will just the one work or should I get the wole kit like this

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/W89310/10002/-1?parentProductId=

·
Registered
184 Posts
Might want to check the price at Napa or whatever. There are L O T S of cheap ass tools out there and you can never tell without having them in your hand. Probably the same price as mail order after adding the shipping.

It is nice indeed to have good tools...don't let your friends know you have them though!!! :poke:

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,778 Posts
Check your local swap meets & CL & e bay for people selling there stuff !!

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I didn't look at your link to the inner tie rod wrench but if its that tube with the crowfoot sockets you don't need that for these cars. The inner tie rod comes off the same as the outer. Buy new sleeves instead of using the old ones. OTC makes a press type tool for the upper bushings. You could even do it on the car if you swivel the arm outward and leave the ball joint connected. A shop press actually works best for bushing if you have access to one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't look at your link to the inner tie rod wrench but if its that tube with the crowfoot sockets you don't need that for these cars. The inner tie rod comes off the same as the outer. Buy new sleeves instead of using the old ones. OTC makes a press type tool for the upper bushings. You could even do it on the car if you swivel the arm outward and leave the ball joint connected. A shop press actually works best for bushing if you have access to one.
Yep thats what the inner tie rod tool looks like good 2 know I dont need it

I got new Inner & outter tie rods & the middle sleeves

I plan on pulling off all 4 front A-Arms & all 4 back trailing arms so I can sand blast them, paint them black, & press in all new bushings.

I do have a shop press but Im not 100% sure how to get the 2 bushings on the top of the rearend, thats why I wanted to buy a small bushing install tool

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Getting the old bushings & rubber out of the control arms is the fun part. Heat from a torch to make the rubber come loose from the sleeves, then cave the sleeves in with a chisel. You have to be careful when pressing the new bushings in, if using an arbor press, but the C type doesn't have a problem with bending the ends of the control arms like an arbor press.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I don't know about a 77,but on my 86 and other 80's gbodys i use a bushing tool from" hnr" part' n stuff.it removes and installs all your suspension bushings(front/ rear upper/lower control seems .trailing. arms,and" mickey mouse ears".)works great!

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
If you have an Auto Zone or an O'reilley's in the neighborhood where you shop, use their tools. It will cost you initially, but the money is returned when the item(s) are returned. Ain't nutin' like workin' on da cheepie side!!!!!:poke:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts