El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out one of my buddies has a TH400 in his shop that he's not going to use and he said i can have it, butI have a couple questions about putting a TH400 in a 5th gen I know this is a better tranny than the TH350C plus i get away from the lockup converter. I've heard putting in the 400 is a pretty tight fit and was wondering about this? Also the 400 does not use a cable for the kickdown like the 350 does what is required for the kickdown to function? I know that the 400 is longer and that i will need to shorten the driveshaft, which is not a problem. Also what about the crossmember, will the 350 one work just move it back or will i need another one? Thanks for any help i can get.

camino81

·
Banned
881 Posts
I've heard putting in the 400 is a pretty tight fit and was wondering about this?

It fits just fine. It is not a tight fit.

Also the 400 does not use a cable for the kickdown like the 350 does what is required for the kickdown to function?

The kickdown is activated electrically. The ECM controlled TH400 gets a signal from the ECM. You can use a kickdown switch mounted to the throttle linkage instead.

I know that the 400 is longer and that i will need to shorten the driveshaft, which is not a problem.

Don't forget that the yoke needs to be changed too.

Also what about the crossmember, will the 350 one work just move it back or will i need another one?

You'll need to modify the crossmember, and the mount is different too. You can probably get a g-force crossmember that will fit too.

I used to have a TH400 in my 79 Elky. I've still got the modified crossmember and drive shaft.

:mrgreen:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts