El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1980 elky and it was origionally a v6-???ci engine. The last owner swapped the engine and put a 4 speed in it. I have no idea how to tell what kind of engine or tranny it is so i can get stuff for it. Such as hurst shifter, supercharger, headers...ect. what are the necacerry things that i would probably need to know in order to get new parts for this setup? please help! i am new at this, haha and my dad says he'll help but he helped my brother fix his bronco and he didnt do anything and had no idea what he was doing!

·
Director Region 13 (TX) Emeritus
601 Posts
engine size

If you look down between the alternator and the engine you will see a machined surface just to the front of the left cylinder head clean it off and you will also find some numbers and letters stamped there. These can also be used to reference the year, size of the engine and what it probably came out of. If you are looking to do modifications to your EL Camino the first thing I recommend you buy a motor manual or a factory manual for the El Camino. They are not that hard to find. If you just jump into a bunch of bolt on parts that you are not familiar with you will end up spending a lot of money without the results you are expecting. Good luck.

Harald K #219

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot guys, hopefully i will get the results in soon cuz im goin to work on it tommorow, also my dad has a 240 datsun z for sale. I know we are elky men but still, if you are interested please reply, it is nice condition very cheap$$$

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Man. What a deal. Most Small Block parts are interchangeable, generally speaking. Things like Alternator, Water Pumps, intakes, Starters, Headers (are all the same for SBC) anyway you get the picture.

Transmission would be a bigger issue I would imagine. Anyway the block numbers will give an idea of what you have and they could be correct or if someone before you had modified the engine to say a 383 then those numbers will do you little good.

The only Small Block Chevy that is very different is the 400 SBC. The biggest small block that chevys had. The 400 requires some special heads and gaskets or its just not going to work well or at all, in some cases. But generically a Small block is a small block.

Things changed in the 90's with the Vortec V8 Chevy started producing and the Gen 3 SBC engines. These have a definite visual identifiers that are unmistakable.

Vortec has the Dipstick on the Passenger side, it uses Center Bolt valve covers the intake bolts are placed differently than the older SBC. Inside the engine it has Roller Lifters and a Plate in the valley that bolts to the Oil Galley, or looks like it does and some other subtle differences. They use a Reverse flow water pump. but Headers and some other pieces are still the same.

Anyway these are some things to look for. Its not all inclusive but enough to get you close.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Regarding the tranny, more than likely it is a Muncie are a Saginaw. The Muncie has an aluminum housing while the saginaw has a cast iron. Also the saginaw reverse gear shifting linkage is way at the back of the tranny on the tail shaft.
Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts