El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My project is a 86 Elky with a 4.3 V-6 that has throttle body fuel injection on it that I would like to replace with a 350 (prefferably one that also incorporates the throttle body injection too). Has anyone reading this had experience with this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
swap

Hey dudes it is a simple swap with the 4.3 because ever thing will bolt up.
I work chevyu 26 yrs 4.3 is 3/4 of a 350

R

·
0 Posts
I realize that this is an old thread, however I wished that it had continued as I believe it would have helped many people in this same situation. I speak of my self as I just finished this same swap and boy did I need help and could still use some help. Nothing fit the way that some people said things would. Engine mounts had to be changed, power steering pump and hoses, had to acquire a custom made trans cross member, had to cut my driveshaft and the latest fiasco; I cannot get the correct ECM and cannot get the check engine light to go out.
The car runs great when it is cold but as soon as it warms up, it spits and backfires and shuts off; barely made it 1/4 of a mile before I limped it home.
If anyone has any ideas I sure could use some assistance.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Take a look at THIS SITE.

It was put together by John Christensen who is a member of ECC but hasn't posted here in quite a while. He did a conversion for TBI in his El Camino to get it to pass IL emissions. He has done an excellent job documenting the parts necessary to do the conversion. Good luck.

R

·
0 Posts
Thanks Ernie,
This may just be what the Dr. ordered. I'll keep you posted. I did notice one thing I hadn't considered is the MAP sensor.

R

·
0 Posts
Update:
Ernie,
I went to the website you suggested and received some very valuable information. I had the right ECM and PROM the whole time; however the PROM was bad. I replaced the PROM (had to order one from Chevy and they are pretty proud of them). Anyway after I installed the PROM the car ran great for about 10 minutes; then all of a sudden it just shut down without warning. After taking a well deserved break (quite frustrated by then), I dug in and found that the fuel relay connection was burned up. Don't know what happened there. Soooo, I'm seeking some help in the way of ideas or experience. I'll except help from anyone out there who has any information that would put me in the right direction. I'm getting close to fixing all the problems with a match. Just kidding but have given it some serious thought.
Thanks.
RK

·
Banned
881 Posts
Which connections on the relay were burnt? A burnt connection means too much current. Either the pump is drawing too much current, or you had a loose connection at the relay as that will draw more current also. Was it the correct relay? Using an undersized relay that won't handle the current will cause it to burn up too. Is it a stock internal fuel pump or an external aftermarket one?

Don't get frustrated. When it's running, it'll be worth it.

R

·
0 Posts
Ok,
Lets see if I can answer all your questions.
1. All of the connections suffered some damage (melted)
2. It was predominately the blk/white (ground) and dk green/white (to ECM).
3. The fuel pump is stock (GM for the 4.3)
4. The relay is for the 4.3
I cleaned the connections and re-attached it did start but it seems to running in limp mode. (I think I also destroyed the new $100.00 PROM). (that bites).
After the car shut down, I got a code 33 (MAP sensor, but the MAP sensor is the one from the same vehicle I got the engine from so I thought it should work- I guess it could be bad.

I disconnected the battery and re-connected and now I am getting a code 51 which is the PROM.

Just wanted to give you an update since you have been so helpful. I am going to call the guy that John Christensen used for his conversion to see if he can help also.

I guess what I didn't tell you is that I am using my orignal main harness, which could be a problem also, at least with the fuel relay as this is the only system that doesn't match up by wire colors; every thing else matched up and works ok.

Hope you had a good labor day weekend. Talk to you soon, I'm sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts