El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to pick up a parts '84 to strip down before junking. I would like to swap the electric windows and door locks onto my '83 if it is not too challenging. I have tested all the parts and they work, however the window raising/lowering is somewhat slow. Does anybody have a good set of instructions (or photos) on how to do this and if it is worth the effort?? The parts car has good interior door panels in the same color as my interior (some good fortune there!). Also need to know about the wiring harnesses: how much do I have to remove from the parts car and how far back into the guts of the wiring is it required?? At some point does this wiring plug right into my electric system or is this another large chunk of work?? I might just take the doors off and store them in the garage and save this for an over-the-winter project. Anybody out there who can help or offer some advice?? Thanks in advance. John H.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I did this with my '78. I bought an '84 just for the interior parts. My '78 was a base int, the '84 was a Conquista with all the goodies. What I ended up doing was just swapping over the entire interior, dash, trim, door panles, and wiring harness along with the power windows and locks. I did it that way because the '84 had the sport gauges, and my '78 came with the big long speedo and lights, and the '78 int was pretty much raggged out. Swapping the power stuff into the doors isn't very hard at all. The hardest part is getting the factory rivits ground/cut out. I used very short bolts to put everything back in with. I put both sets of doors on a pair of sawhorses and just transfered from one to the other. This is a very worth while upgrade, even if the windows are a little slow (yep, mine are slow too :cool: ).

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Tim. My potential parts car is also a Conquista with lots of goodies. However, I have already swapped the entire interior including dash and instrument cluster from another source. In this case, I never want to remove another dash again!! What I specifically need is info on how to remove and reinstall just the electric controls in the doors and how that plugs in to my existing electrical system. Can you provide more details on this aspect?? Does anyone out there have some photos of the process??

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
If I remember correctly, all you need are the door harnesses. They will plug directly into the original dash harness regardless of whether it came with power stuff or not. Can't remember exactly, but I did this on my 83 and the only problems I ran in to was aligning the windows after replacing the regulators, but the wiring was a snap. Sorry, no pics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts