El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys sorry to bug about this topic but I hadn’t found a clear answer to this one yet.

I own a 1985 G-Body that I believe has the factory GM 4.3 V6 fuel injected engine and what I am assuming is the factory transmission (column shift automatic) as well and was contemplating a rebuild.
However my uncle owns an older model Chevy pick-up (I don’t know what year) that he thinks has a 327 (but it’s definitely a V8) and a TH350 that he offered me at a bargain price since he’s gonna scrap the rust ridden frame but pull the motor and transmission out and won’t be doing anything with it...

what do you guys think it will take to install his engine and transmission in my El Camino?

Is it even possible to do this correctly going from a fuel injected 4.3 engine?

I have absolutely zero experience with this kind of job, but luckily I’ve got family that’s done this before so I’ll be working with them to make sure but I thought I’d run it by this forum first to make sure I’m not getting myself into more than I can handle.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Do you live in a state that has strict emissions control laws? If yes, you need to consult the laws to know if this is an approved swap.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,377 Posts
as B52 said, location is vital. can we assume you are still in Washington state?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys sorry to bug about this topic but I hadn’t found a clear answer to this one yet.

I own a 1985 G-Body that I believe has the factory GM 4.3 V6 fuel injected engine and what I am assuming is the factory transmission (column shift automatic) as well and was contemplating a rebuild.
However my uncle owns an older model Chevy pick-up (I don’t know what year) that he thinks has a 327 (but it’s definitely a V8) and a TH350 that he offered me at a bargain price since he’s gonna scrap the rust ridden frame but pull the motor and transmission out and won’t be doing anything with it...

what do you guys think it will take to install his engine and transmission in my El Camino?

I have absolutely zero experience with this kind of job, but luckily I’ve got family that’s done this before so I’ll be working with them to make sure but I thought I’d run it by this forum first to make sure I’m not getting myself into more than I can handle.
[/QUOTE
as B52 said, location is vital. can we assume you are still in Washington state?
yes I am still residing in Washington state

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Went to see the truck today and the combination of the motor and tranny is smooooth... definitely gonna try and swap it all over... might use the Holley Sniper EFI too

·
Registered
60 Posts
4.3 is basically a sawed off 350. 327's are great engines, probably my favorite. It's gonna fit with very little trouble, trans mount and driveshaft might be shorter/longer, but I doubt it. Like the other said, check your local emissions regs. That's the rub, I doubt if you can legally do it. 327 has to be pre '68 (GM switched to the 350 in '69), so cam and heads would be dicey. If you can talk to the state, they may let off with cats and O2 sensors, an EGR intake, and a feedback carb.

I looked for a C-10 for a year, they're all rotten, even the CA trucks. Gave up and bought my '68 El Camino.

Hans

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We don’t really have emissions here in Washington State I’m sure it’ll pass just fine 🤫

·
Registered
60 Posts
We don’t really have emissions here in Washington State I’m sure it’ll pass just fine 🤫
Then you're golden. One other thing, the early 327 engines didn't have bolt holes in the heads for accessory drives like A/C and alternators. If you need all that to work in the same configuration, you will need those mounting points. All the later 350's had 'em, so a head swap would be easy with the engine on the ground. 2 barrel or 4? I have an extra 1968 4 barrel stock intake if you need it, free, just pay shipping.

Hans

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you really want to get wild, I have a 1962 327 Corvette clone I'll sell, brand new, 10.5 to 1, closed chamber double hump fuelie heads, KB pistons, eagle rods, .030 over, standard crank in a 2 bolt block, moderate Lunati hydraulic cam (282 dur/495 lift). It'll need premium to run on the street. Could be fun!

Hans

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Wrencher, I didn’t get the notification of your post, but I’ve already swapped it and will be posting a picture below for everyone to see. The swap was pretty easy, driveshaft had to be shortened and I had to use Hedman mid length Headers to get it right but overall it’s so much better than that 4.3. Now it’s onto sanding and painting the beast
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you notice a big change in preformance ?
I did notice a big difference, turns out the engine had a cam in it and it wants to take off from every stop I make… I’m sure I’ll adjust to the amount of power but it is EXTREMELY fun to drive compared to the boring old 4.3

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm thinking of making the swap from my 4.3 (EFI) to either a 305 or a 350.

Never did an engine swap before.. Where are some good guides for it?

That's a mighty fine looking engine in there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm thinking of making the swap from my 4.3 (EFI) to either a 305 or a 350.

Never did an engine swap before.. Where are some good guides for it?

That's a mighty fine looking engine in there.
I honestly didn’t do it either, although I planned to do it with my grandfather and. A family friend the family friend took it over because he likes working on his own (he’s well known for working on Chevy’s here in town and around other ones as well). All I know about my swap is that the motor mounts are different, the AC tubing and bracket didn’t transfer over, the drivetrain had to be shortened, I had to use Hederman Mid-length Headers to connect my exhaust to my new engine, and the transmission linkage takes a little playing around with to get it to fit correctly ( I swapped the original for a TH350 that came with my 327).
I wish you the best of luck on your swap!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Then you're golden. One other thing, the early 327 engines didn't have bolt holes in the heads for accessory drives like A/C and alternators. If you need all that to work in the same configuration, you will need those mounting points. All the later 350's had 'em, so a head swap would be easy with the engine on the ground. 2 barrel or 4? I have an extra 1968 4 barrel stock intake if you need it, free, just pay shipping.

Hans
Hans is right. You Could have possibly used the Vintage Air Brackets to make it work with the non Bolt Hole Early heads. Pic Attached.... About 220.00 for all of it.

Looks like you got'er done though. Should fit easily since the architecture is the same with a 305 of which came in your car as well. Really Cool to put an Early SB into the later Camino. Looks nicely dressed. Does it have the 461 Double Hump Heads? If it does it started life as a 325hp version.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
yes I am still residing in Washington state

Engine swap V8 should bolt right in
Install the fuel injection system (change injector) with all the sensors and get a new V8 distributor you won’t need to mess with wiring or ECM
I would think that would be the easiest way, but check with others

1 - 18 of 18 Posts