El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's and gal's I'm new to this forum as I have an 86 El Camino totally rust free (except for the drivers door which was replaced with a rusty unit). I have switched the dash over to a Pontiac and just recently replaced the idiot lights with the factory rally pack. I have all the gauges working except the oil pressure. There are two sending units on the drivers side of the distributor. I thought sure one of these would be what I was looking for but both have dual wires and my analog sending unit only uses one wire. I disconnected the wires one at a time thinking the gauge would not register when I got the correct wire. Not true, it still registers 80 pounds. So where do I put this new analog sending unit. hopefully this is the last piece of the puzzle. As mentioned before I eliminated the TBI and used a carb, Edelbrock manifold and distributor. I've also put BMW electric bucket seats in the car and they work fine. I am looking for a console that will fit between the seats so any suggestions would be appreciated. The car is a 4.3 with 200 automatic trans. Thanks for any help you can give. Big Al

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Hi Al,
Not much(Zero!) experience with da 4.3. I thought you would be in right area for sending unit though. Help will come along soon. Enjoy da site. :bigups:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
New B

:Welcome!: Big Al, Glad you found us. Have fun & enjoy. I think the oil sending switch is on the drivers side of the lower block.
From Nick & Don
Grove City, Ohio bowtie smile:newbie:

·
Premium Member
5,769 Posts
Welcome
X2
Just above the oil filter.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome Al

oil pressure wire is usually Tan on a carbed cruck,, not sure on a TBI ??

with the key on
usually if you ground the sender end of the wire the gauge will go full scale or 0..
showing full scale, it may be grounded thru the oil pressure switch, with no oil pressure..
you can try the same thing with a test light at the dash wires..

fyi
since you have a Pontiac gauge, youll probly need the 0-80 Pontiac sender,,
or the reading will probly be off, may have a different ohm scale..

rockauto shows a TBI fuel pressure switch also, maybe why there is 2 switches ?? :dontknow:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1042737,pgname,Electrical-Switch%2B%2526%252338%253B%2BRelay

:texas:

·
Supporting Member
4,439 Posts
For a console, if you are keeping the column shift, then check out blazers late 90's ( this one is a '98 ). They also have models with shifters, if you want to go to floor shift. A pretty easy mod.

If you have floor shift, or want to convert to one, then consoles w/ shifter from a 2004 GP work well too.

Same console and interior after a color change!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts