El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best donor car to get parts from to switch a 78 Camino with auto trans over to a 5 speed? I love to shift gears, and I have trying to find out the easiest parts to make mine a 5 speed. I can not find any factory 4 speed g--bodies in any of the junk yards around hear. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I have seen the clutch/brake pedal assm. for sale on this site, can probably get anything you need here. Search the "for sale" section.
I personally used a T5 from a Camaro

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Hey, TK, I,ve had 2 t-5,s & now a t-56.Had pieced together manual linkage , now hydraulic. Current setup is complete LS1/t-56 assembly. Like the t-56 better for the double OD 6th gear(,50 ratio). On the f-body t-5's, the later model world class versions seemed better to me, (late 80,2 to early 90,s. 93- 97 f-body,s have the lt1's which bellhousing should still work,I,d go for 6 speed personally.
On pedals from junkyard, I've heard of f-body pedals being used. I used early 70's chevelle pedals& had to lengthen. You can make or buy hydraulic mc bracket, street & performance has plans & premade parts.
of course you will have the typical items to modify depending in what you get. I believe you 305(??) has a153 tooth flywheel instead of a 168 tooth. I found a prepulled drive shaft marked 83 olds 88 350/350 in the front of a stack of prepulled shafts. It fit my t-5 & ls/t-56 also.
you may try a few general google searches which may link to articles on sites like malibu racing.com .

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I always get great help from the guys on this site.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the link, what a great find

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'll second the 84-92 V8 Camaro/Firebird.
Like jlcustomz, I too have had a couple T5s and a T56, not including work done for other persons' vehicles.
I started with the 84-92 F-body hydraulics and modified the pedals to work in the 78-88 firewall bolt pattern.
Later, I went to the 78-81 pedals, 83 F-body bellhousing and stayed T5.
Then I did a mechanical linkage 1995 T56.

Since you can now buy an aftermarket clutch pedal and I think the neutral switch is even available again, you don't have to find a junkyard 78-up model (but yeah, it was nice when those parts could be had on the cheap!)

The 83-87 non- world class T5 can be just fine if not abused and not behind a behemoth of an engine. I enjoyed my 84 box for the time I had it. If it comes with the other parts to do a swap and you can then save up for a different one while you drive it, good deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts