El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'84 Conquista, factory console shifter. The shifter bowl on the column does not move all the way around when the floor shifter is moved to park, so the key will not move to lock. The bowl can be easily twisted the rest of the way so the ignition will lock and the key can be removed. Also the dash gear selection indicator does not show correct gear. When in drive it usually displays N and can be moved back and forth by twisting the bowl. I have read all through the threads related to this problem. I understand there is a connector between the column shifter and the floor shifter. I am unclear where the adjustment needs to be made to get the two in sync. Is it underneath at the trans or in the cab at the bowl? If at the bowl, how do you access it?
Thanks,
Don

·
0 Posts
Those two arms are under the car, They move together. I think you can disconnect one,but others may have more info..:dontknow:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to disconnect anything. I want to take the slack out of the adjustment so that the column shift bowl moves in unison with the console shifter. So the ignition lock will operate without having to turn the bowl by hand and so that the dash gear indicator will be accurate.
Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Does the steering col. A tilt one? Does the wheel feel loose ? Check under hood near master cylinder one the pivot points are. There is some nylon type spacers the two shafts ride on.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
The adjustment is located at the pivot point on the frame where the rod coming down from the column attaches. There is a pinch bolt that tightens against the rod going to the column. Loosen the pinch bolt and slide the rod up or down as needed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sandblaster, yes it is a tilt column, no the steering does not feel loose at all, just had the alignment checked and everything is within specs, they didn't even make any adjustments.

464elky, thank you, that sounds like the info I needed.

Thanks,
Don

·
Supporting Member
4,476 Posts
It takes a 13mm wrench, and once you know where it is at, you can reach it laying on the ground and reaching in behind the drivers side wheel. When you adjust this, you are also adjusting the park/neutral switch operation. You may find that you can't start the vehicle in neutral or Park if you get it too far off. I adjust it for P/N operation. If the needle is off, it can be adjusted by moving the point where it attaches to the bowl. It attaches with a little clip, and you can move that clip back and forth to get the needle where you want it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads up on the p/n switch. How do I get to the clip that attaches the needle to the bowl?
Thanks,
Don

·
Supporting Member
4,476 Posts
The clip is on the bowl at about the 2:00 position, looking down at the dash. IIRC, you may have to remove the dash pod to get to it. Might be able to get to it from underneath the dash if you remove the lower dash panels under the steering column. The clip has a string attached which pulls the needle across the face of the Speedo, with a spring attached that returns it towards park.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts