El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have often wandered why not pull all parts off of a t/a and replace everything from the backingplate on. Sounds to ez. Anyone have answer?:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the only problem is the axle flange plate.on the older cars (77 and older) there was a 4 bolt flange to mount the backing plate to the g body cars have an odd ball flange that no factory disc setup bolts to.the rear disk camaro/firebird cars had the old 4 bolt flange. you can modify your flange or buy a custom one.i change the flange on mine so i can use any brake setup i want. the flanges weld on. you can try to drill new holes but theres not much material there to work with.if you look at the back side of your backing plate you will see what i mean. they must have had a ford engineer design this axle flange

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I read somewhere 86-95 F body with rear disc will work. I know I have the article somewhere, will attempt to locate it later. I will update and/or correct this info if I am incorrect.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have robbed those for brake parts but they have the 4 bolt flange, the g body and non disc camaro/firebird use a odd shaped plate that goes up to the wheel cylender.if you can find the article i would be interested in it. as i have several g body cars and am doing disc conversions on them all

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Found the box of magazines in the garage. Now starts the search.........Keep ya posted..

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
FOUND IT! 88-97 F body donor, complete article in April 2012 Car Craft, Junkyard Builder, Budget GM Rear Disc Brakes, page 74
states easily bolts on to most GM rear axle housings,like the 10- and 12- bolt

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
key word most.the disc and drum brake housing ends are different.they will go on any gm 4 bolt flange.our g bodys dont have the 4 bolt flange. our flanges are unique to the g body and drum brake 82/2000 camaro. like i said look at the back side of your backing plate and you will see what i am talking about.there isnt enough there to bolt to.the g body housing end flange is 3 1/2 wide. the 4 bolt flange for the disc brak has 2 different bolt spaceings the lower will work its center to center is 2 3/4 in but the upper set is 3 3/16. leaveing only 1/32 in left on each side when you take away the bolt diameter.no safty margin left. i have one of the 4 bolt flanges in front of me and went into my shop and measured the flange on my monte. its waiting for me to do the disc conversion as we speek

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:nanawrench:Thanks great info. My question is answered. I'm sure we all would like any more info anyone has on this.

·
Registered
589 Posts
how did you attach the caliper bracket to the axle housing? this is on an elco?

I've done three of these LS1 12" disc brake conversions so far on G-body cars. I installed a GN 8.5 rear on my elky, though they share the same flanges as the 7.5. You have to saw off the upper part of the flange that holds the drum brake backing plate, then drill a hole in each corner of the flange to line up with the Camaro bracket bolt pattern.

start here, cut and drill flange, mount hardware

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/ls1-f-body-rear-brake-swap.206369/

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts