El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
March 23 11 am I got T-boned in the drivers door, car went into the ditch and stopped when the passenger door dead centered a light pole. His insurance only wants to pay just under 1/2 of replacement cost. So i am stuck without a settlement. I have spent the last 10 years restoring it a little at a time.
Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

engine 350 TPI i installed
trans 700R4 i installed
power disk front brakes i installed
seat recovered
new door panels
sun visors
headliner
rally wheels i installed
3" body lift i installed
gas tank i installed
new shocks and air bags
new paint twice in 10 years.

i found a similar build in Sherman, TX
for $34,500
it lacks the body lift, and fuel injection.
but the insurance company expects me to replace it for $14,945.
the cheapest 1965 i have seen is about $17,000 and is about like mine was 10 years ago.
so what is a good way to show the insurance company i need more money?

i thank GOD that spare tire was in there to push the seat forward and break my three ribs on my right side. That kept my neck from breaking on the collapsed roof .
only 1 rib was broke on left side.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,311 Posts
why isn't your insurance company pursuing damages on your behalf? that's one of their jobs. which state are you located in as your recovery rights may vary?

·
Registered
63 Posts
With insurance it's all about comps, especially on a classic car.

You find comps for sale that match your combination, that means modern EFI engine and overdrive transmission (don't mention TPI & 700r4 because your comps will end up being LS & 4L60E)

You must emphasize the upgrades because they will find "survivor" type comps with old school running gear; what you had looks like a survivor type car but your upgrades increase the value and will improve the comps you can find.

Secondly, also negotiate the cost of your salvage; you can make some back on that end and your car will be relatively easy to fix; 65's have a full frame so it's pretty easy to put it on a frame rack to square the frame and find a donor cab section and join it to your bed.

Sorry about your trials, I love 65's so I see lots of potential in what you have left but I also know it can seem overwhelming if you haven't done this stuff before; good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have not bothered my insurance company with this issue yet. and wont if i can get it done myself.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
i have not bothered my insurance company with this issue yet. and wont if i can get it done myself.
In this situation you may be better off having your insurance go to bat for you. The other guy's insurance is going to do everything they can to screw you and you pay your insurance premium specifically for these circumstances.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no just liability and under and uninsured coverage. i will give them another 2 days and then on Monday i will let my insurance know.
What about your insurance? Do you carry collision insurance on the car with a stated value of the vehicle?
Do you have "collector car" insurance on the vehicle?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sorry to say, I doubt if your insurance company will help you because you do not have collision. There is no reason for them to be involved with anything regarding the vehicle.
I would ask the other insurance company to explain how they are coming up with the value.
They probably really don't care about any modifications that have been done. Vehicles just have a basic book value.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,207 Posts
Sorry to say, I doubt if your insurance company will help you because you do not have collision. There is no reason for them to be involved with anything regarding the vehicle.
I would ask the other insurance company to explain how they are coming up with the value.
They probably really don't care about any modifications that have been done. Vehicles just have a basic book value.
Have to agree, sounds like you are underinsured for this sort of event and are more or less at the mercy of the other guys insurance.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The other insurance company will just use the VIN# and run it through whatever estimating tool they use and come up with a value.
Also do you have a police report that indicates in their estimation who's fault it is?
My guess is that it was probably the other person's fault, that is why the insurance is offering you money.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
986 Posts
If the other driver is at fault, according to the citation, then your insurance company should reimburse you, then they go after the other drivers company for damages. Which usually doesn't take long since lawyers cost big bucks and a judge will agree with the citation and comps, so the other company will lose more, so they'll pay. They'll also cover the hospital bills, ambulance, fire dept, towing etc.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It all depends on the insurance coverage you paid for. Comp and collision they will go to bat for you but you will need to show them why you are asking for the price given by showing comps for a similar vehicle. If you only have collision then you are on your own. Small claims court will not cover the loss so you need a lawyer. Sorry but I don't see any other way.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
986 Posts
If it's the other drivers fault, it's his collision that pays, it's only the victims pip that gets used. Collision covers the other driver, comp covers you. Since the other drivers insurance has already tried bribing with a partial payout, that's tantamount to admission of guilt, insurance companies do not like spending money. So unless they are willing to settle for your comp prices etc, I'd get your insurance company in the loop, cuz they do like to make money.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your insurance company won't spend any resources fighting for you if you had no coverage on your own car beyond the minimum, that won't hurt you in the settlement as long as you are willing to do the work gathering the comps.

Get online, find a few clean 65"s in your State that have been LS swapped and print out the sale ads, put that together with a statement explaining that you had upgraded your 65 to a modern engine and overdrive transmission as well and these cars are in comparable overall condition and located within a reasonable distance to your address.

That is the process, if they cannot find cheaper comps that also match your rides upgrades and overall condition they will offer you an amount that falls within the comp range that you presented.

That's the process, those willing to do that leg work get a reasonable settlement but the at fault company won't do that for you and neither will your own company; its just paper pushing and they want it off their desk as bad as you want it settled for a fair amount.

A few hours work and an insistent attitude will net you thousands more dollars, I have always considered it well worth the time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
As much as hate to say, I'd hire an attorney at this point. Since you don't have collision coverage, even though it's obviously not your fault as to the collision itself as they are looking to pay you, your insurer has no skin in the game and aren't obligated to do much of anything on your behalf. The damage looks pretty extensive and from a new car perspective, it would be a total by insurance standards. As you are dealing with an insurer, the other guy's, that unlikely deals with classics, they are just looking at your El no differently than they would someone's 2010 Cobalt. Fighting with insurance companies is not for the faint of heart and I do believe you need some help with this one. You can try to do what RET423 said to do but ultimately, it may not net you the settlement you rightfully deserve. One major point to all collision damage on any vehicle is that there will nearly always be unseen damage hiding and not discovered until the layers start being removed. Thus why most initial estimates go up sharply after work begins. Keep this in mind no matter which way you go on pursuing this. After the dust settles, I'd take this experience as a lesson learned and go with a classic car insurer and get full coverage. When we drive our classics on public roads, we take the same risks as everyone else but we have different priorities and conventional insurers generally have no clue on that we have a different set of monetary values than daily drivers. That and they are always looking to pay out as little as possible by any means possible when their client is at fault.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No insurance company would try to fix that car, it is totalled by their standards so establishing the fair market value of the car is the only criteria that matters in the settlement; whoever buys the salvage is the only one that will be concerned with additional damage, that's the risk inherent in buying salvage vehicles.

Comps are how fair market value is determined in the insurance industry, trying to use an attorney for that legwork will cost more than the difference between what they are offering now and what the fair market value actually is; anyone with an internet connection and a printer can can gather comps.

I am not saying that they won't try to screw you, I am just saying that they haven't tried to screw you yet. At this point they are just operating like every insurance company operates, if you engage the process correctly and they refuse to honor that process; that is the point where they are trying to screw you and it might be beneficial to get an attorney involved.

But usually they respect the process, if your comps are solid and they cannot find cheaper comps that also are solid comparisons then they will pay you more.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,311 Posts
No insurance company would try to fix that car, it is totalled by their standards so establishing the fair market value of the car is the only criteria that matters in the settlement; whoever buys the salvage is the only one that will be concerned with additional damage, that's the risk inherent in buying salvage vehicles.

Comps are how fair market value is determined in the insurance industry, trying to use an attorney for that legwork will cost more than the difference between what they are offering now and what the fair market value actually is; anyone with an internet connection and a printer can can gather comps.

I am not saying that they won't try to screw you, I am just saying that they haven't tried to screw you yet. At this point they are just operating like every insurance company operates, if you engage the process correctly and they refuse to honor that process; that is the point where they are trying to screw you and it might be beneficial to get an attorney involved.

But usually they respect the process, if your comps are solid and they cannot find cheaper comps that also are solid comparisons then they will pay you more.
don't forget that there are different comps out there, just like you have Bluebook/Blackbook/KBB/Edmunds, etc, evaluating used car prices

@rushgator maybe able to throw in some advice here

1 - 20 of 45 Posts