El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Comps are comparable cars for sale sale right now, that's why the specific features matter to getting a settlement if the vehicle is a total loss; the only scenario where an opinion site would be used would be if no comps exist in the market to use as a basis.

That won't be the case with an EFI/Overdrive modified 65 El Camino in very good shape; there are literally hundreds that meet that description available at any given time for sale.

They offered under 15k, I would bet there is not a single 65 El Camino in great shape with an EFI/Overdrive upgraded powertrain and disc brakes for sale at that price anywhere in the United States right now; the insurance company won't find any actual comps to challenge the ones you find as long as you are diligent to not ignore the average and just try to use the exceptions.

·
Registered
215 Posts
don't forget that there are different comps out there, just like you have Bluebook/Blackbook/KBB/Edmunds, etc, evaluating used car prices

@rushgator maybe able to throw in some advice here
You couldn't be more correct. Today, it is more confusing than ever to figure out what any car, classic or daily driver, is worth. Dealers it seems are going away from NADA Blue Book to the regional Black Book. One thing I found and like is that if you are a client or register on Hagerty's site, you can see what cars like your classic have sold for at auction and private sale. It gives one a more real world idea of values. Still, it is a mine field out there on values and what to post a car for sale at. I recently sold my '14 Explorer to a Ford dealer for what I bought it for used 4 years ago. Free car for the last 4 years. Classics are all over the map. I was at Carlisle for the spring swap this past weekend and looked at some of the large amount of cars in the corral. Prices were either very reasonable or criminally high. I spoke to one gent who scored an '87 Camino in really decent shape overall minus an engine & tranny for $1100. Really nice body, frame and interior. He said he has an SB at home so that even more made this car a steal. There were others in that category. And then those that were priced in the stratosphere.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,799 Posts
Hagerty has a lot of data on classic values from insurance policies and auction results. Now wether an adjuster from another company chooses to accept that data is unknown. Anyhow, Hagerty publishes a price guide 3x per year. Here's a report on a '65 El Camino. Take into account that this does not consider the value of modifications from stock. I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hagerty has a lot of data on classic values from insurance policies and auction results. Now whether an adjuster from another company chooses to accept that data is unknown. Anyhow, Hagerty publishes a price guide 3x per year. Here's a report on a '65 El Camino. Take into account that this does not consider the value of modifications from stock. I hope this helps.
I'd advise anyone using mods to change the value of their car to use caution. Not all mods will increase the value of any vehicle as much as some believe. I'm a Harley guy and a lot of bikers have found out this much to their dismay. They have sunk a bunch of $$ into a bike, which is easy to do and very common, and found out that it isn't worth all that much more from factory stock down the road. This also holds true to cars & trucks. I've seen it happen. A restomod may be exactly how you want it to your tastes and budget but to a buyer, he/she may be looking at changing things after they buy it and take that into consideration so they will not pay as much as someone who likes it just as it is. That's also very common. For an insurance valuation where you set the value, do what you feel. But at sale time, be realistic especially in this volatile marketplace.

Reactions: rushgator

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can have a total loss appraisal done on the car. It can be determined what condition the car was in prior to the accident and what the value was. Auto Appraisal Group or AAG can do that appraisal for you. You can use that appraisal to take to the insurance co or hand it over to an attorney. With your injuries, you should receive a substantial settlement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You can have a total loss appraisal done on the car. It can be determined what condition the car was in prior to the accident and what the value was. Auto Appraisal Group or AAG can do that appraisal for you. You can use that appraisal to take to the insurance co or hand it over to an attorney. With your injuries, you should receive a substantial settlement.
Comps are comparable cars for sale sale right now, that's why the specific features matter to getting a settlement if the vehicle is a total loss; the only scenario where an opinion site would be used would be if no comps exist in the market to use as a basis.

That won't be the case with an EFI/Overdrive modified 65 El Camino in very good shape; there are literally hundreds that meet that description available at any given time for sale.

They offered under 15k, I would bet there is not a single 65 El Camino in great shape with an EFI/Overdrive upgraded powertrain and disc brakes for sale at that price anywhere in the United States right now; the insurance company won't find any actual comps to challenge the ones you find as long as you are diligent to not ignore the average and just try to use the exceptions.
ok thanks all the replies .i have sent the adjuster e-mail asking him to refigure my claim."
please find comparable vehicles which include modern fuel injection engine and overdrive automatic trans and disc brakes.

these are the main comps my car has."
btw the other guy got citation for failure to yield ROW.
he was still accelerating when his frontend hit my door, i could hear his engine racing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
March 23 11 am I got T-boned in the drivers door, car went into the ditch and stopped when the passenger door dead centered a light pole. His insurance only wants to pay just under 1/2 of replacement cost. So i am stuck without a settlement. I have spent the last 10 years restoring it a little at a time.
View attachment 146975
View attachment 146976
View attachment 146977
engine 350 TPI i installed
trans 700R4 i installed
power disk front brakes i installed
seat recovered
new door panels
sun visors
headliner
rally wheels i installed
3" body lift i installed
gas tank i installed
new shocks and air bags
new paint twice in 10 years.

i found a similar build in Sherman, TX
for $34,500
it lacks the body lift, and fuel injection.
but the insurance company expects me to replace it for $14,945.
the cheapest 1965 i have seen is about $17,000 and is about like mine was 10 years ago.
so what is a good way to show the insurance company i need more money?

i thank GOD that spare tire was in there to push the seat forward and break my three ribs on my right side. That kept my neck from breaking on the collapsed roof .
only 1 rib was broke on left side.
Wow
That sucks I would start by asking so u have an appraisal for the car?? Or do u have any receipts for what you did or replaced it’s easy to say what we feel our cars are worth but it situations like this when crunch time comes if you had an appraisal for at least what you feel the valuation is you may have a shot, I would not settle and ask insurance company to find you one like yours they won’t? Maybe you can reach a deal if you can show something of
What you have done to car then buy it back and part it out,glad your sons ok tobad cars not
Goodluck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Be difficult to find an attorney to take a Collision only case, they'll want to play up the Bodily Injury claim... have they settled that with you yet?
i turned in $10,400 in receipts most body and paint 5,400 just this last year. they have not taken any of that into account yet. they are playing a waiting game. they have really been trying to get my car away from me . title procurement. i told them to quit that, i want to keep my salvage. just after i turned in my receipts they sent another TLS offer exactly same as before the receipts. so at that point i got a injury atty. involved. before that point i offered to settle without injury claim or to have them combine both claims to equal enough for me to replace my property loss and i got "crickets"
i have not taken a rent car, no storage charges have been incurred, they have not even paid my tow bill. and yes atty do not want to do property loss without me paying for it up front.
they did offer $1,000 for injury right away, i turned it down and said i would wait and see how the property damage turned out.

3 adjusters so far have handled this so far, i do not know why they keep changing them. there communication is very poor. i will not say what company it is but there initials are just like my country's initials with an extra A at the end. and you have to work or have worked for the armed services to be insured by them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have an idea why they have had several adjusters look at it. They want to be able to say that several qualified people looked at it and came to the same conclusion. Covering their ass. While I hate to see you have to do it, I'm glad you secured an attorney which I believe you need at this point as I mentioned earlier. Also, as you are now represented by counsel, they cannot contact you directly. They have to do everything through your attorney which is good for you. If they contact you directly, just tell them they have to contact your lawyer and cut them off. You did the right thing turning down the offers so far. Once you agree to anything, they will make you sign releases and you have no legal recourse after. I know exactly which company you are dealing with and while I have no experience with them in any way, it wouldn't surprise me if any other company treated you the same. They try to wear people like you down but stick to your guns. The entire situation sucks but hopefully a lesson is learned about coverage on your vehicles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have an idea why they have had several adjusters look at it. They want to be able to say that several qualified people looked at it and came to the same conclusion. Covering their ass. While I hate to see you have to do it, I'm glad you secured an attorney which I believe you need at this point as I mentioned earlier. Also, as you are now represented by counsel, they cannot contact you directly. They have to do everything through your attorney which is good for you. If they contact you directly, just tell them they have to contact your lawyer and cut them off. You did the right thing turning down the offers so far. Once you agree to anything, they will make you sign releases and you have no legal recourse after. I know exactly which company you are dealing with and while I have no experience with them in any way, it wouldn't surprise me if any other company treated you the same. They try to wear people like you down but stick to your guns. The entire situation sucks but hopefully a lesson is learned about coverage on your vehicles.
i would have had classic car coverage except i can not keep the car in the garage, a requirement i have seen every time i have checked. another classic occupies that spot.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
The 3 adjusters handling the claim are probably BI (bodily injury), PD (property damage), and an appraiser... not unusual to have multiple departments involved in the claim. If you have an attorney handling the BI they should also be making a time limit demand for the PD, based on a realistic total loss appraisal.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,799 Posts
I second using AAG. I have used them before on a pre purchase inspection and appraisal, and they were very thorough. I would recommend them if you choose to go this route.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,799 Posts
i would have had classic car coverage except i can not keep the car in the garage, a requirement i have seen every time i have checked. another classic occupies that spot.
Depending on where you live, you may not have to have the vehicle in a fully enclosed garage to get classic car coverage. Hagerty, for instance, will insure vehicles in an open carport in many states. Of course the rate for that type of storage is higher vs. in a garage. Also, as I said, this is not available in all states. For example,in most of the hurricane prone states outside storage is not allowed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Slope Rectangle Parallel Font Plot

above is old list of vehicles used to calculate loss
i just got word they are going to re calculate using the comps i turned in
efi engine/overdrive cars. much higher values
it will take up to 48 hours this new guy said. i must say he communicates much better and faster than the others that were handling this matter new values will be 23,000 40,000 54,000
i should get a higher average out of that. i will let you know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
I have added my El Camino into my "ShowCase" available to members on this site.
Blue Thunder | El Camino Central Forum

It has information about the truck that many of you who have helped me, could answer questions should I not be here to sell it.
I thank you in advance for assisting those who follow me.

I changed insurance on it this month. The new insurance Company/Agent asked that I send it as it helps them appraise it for stated value policy.
They also asked for some selected current images to show "todays condition".
They received it and found no reason to question my value.

One advantage is that I can keep the "ShowCase" updated and add links to threads on upgrades.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,326 Posts
i turned in $10,400 in receipts most body and paint 5,400 just this last year. they have not taken any of that into account yet. they are playing a waiting game. they have really been trying to get my car away from me . title procurement. i told them to quit that, i want to keep my salvage. just after i turned in my receipts they sent another TLS offer exactly same as before the receipts. so at that point i got a injury atty. involved. before that point i offered to settle without injury claim or to have them combine both claims to equal enough for me to replace my property loss and i got "crickets"
i have not taken a rent car, no storage charges have been incurred, they have not even paid my tow bill. and yes atty do not want to do property loss without me paying for it up front.
they did offer $1,000 for injury right away, i turned it down and said i would wait and see how the property damage turned out.

3 adjusters so far have handled this so far, i do not know why they keep changing them. there communication is very poor. i will not say what company it is but there initials are just like my country's initials with an extra A at the end. and you have to work or have worked for the armed services to be insured by them.
I know which company because I have them but have not experienced a communication issue such as the one you are stating. however, take this little tale into account. the circumstances may limit what they can do. you need to flat out ASK THEM why you are getting passed around

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
well they did a lot better this time. looks like we will settle in a day or 2 still have to find out if they will add some for my receipts , and how much they want for the salvage. this was a daily driver not a show car.
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Pattern

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
i signed the title over, just in case anyone wants to bid on the salvage.
i decided not to keep because insurance wanted 3500 for salvage, just too much i am thinking.
i am not going to bid on it . i will just build something else.
IAA insurance auto auctions stock # 32763844
it is still in my driveway , but they will pick it up soon.
it has a good 1990 350TPI engine and 700R4 trans.
soon you can find it at

16602 E Hardy Rd, Houston, TX 77032
website iaai . com
+12814431300
i just hope they do not crush it.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts