El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had a T5 layin around with a tag on it that said 84 Camaro for a few years and after running the number I found out it was out of a 6 cylinder. Dont think it would work well so I went to the local pull and save and found a 92 Camaro 5 speed with a V8 in it. Im going to go back and pull everything off of that car and attempt to mount it up in my 59. Has anyone done this on a 59 and if so what are some of the troubles I will be facing?

Thanks!

Oh and I started this car for the first time in 13 years today! :nanawrench:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
congrats on busting it off...
somebody here will chime in soon....
welcome from :texas:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Trans mount will be in the wrong place
Shifter will probably want to come up in the same real estate that the seat occupies.
Front driveshaft will need shortened
In order to get a proper driveshaft angle---pretty much the whole tunnel will need to be cut out and raised-----OEM seat may not go back in after this.

I have a TKO in my 59----still need to gather up the gonads to cut the tunnel out and raise the rear of the trans to correct driveshaft angles.
It is an early modified trans and the shifter on that comes up right in front of the seat----to where there is only about 2" of seat movement forward.

I believe the t-5 has a shifter location much farther to the rear----I have seen these in a few Falcons and the shifter comes up right between bucket seats

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya my car is not gonna be much of a "stock" car. buckets and pretty much whatever comes along. Ive cut up the frame a little and got rid of the emergency brake stuff and now have a one piece drive line in it.

The one thing I already see is the trans mount is about 1.5 inches further back from the stock location. probably gonna cut the stock one up a little to make it slide back to fit. The newer transmission has 2 mounts off of the rear of it also so I think im gonna try to build a bracket for those to bolt to. More support for it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Off topic, but how much did you have to cut up the frame to get the one piece driveshaft in?
if you look at the bottom of the frame....theres 2 plates that are welded on the bottom there. one that the carrier barring bolts to and one behind that. I took the rear one off. The car is on a hoist right now and it wont slide in with the rear axle hanging but my Dad did this same thing to his 60 impala.....way back in the 70s when he was in his 20s and it has worked great. need the car sitting on the ground to get it in. This camaro I found has a little smaller diameter drive line than the one I have now which I think will work better too. He said the only time he ever heard the drive line rub was when he would go over somethin like rail road tracks fast where the car really bounces hard. Other than that not one issue!

Hope that helped!

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
One thing that will help with the shifter on the T5 is to unbolt it from the tranny, unbend the tabs that hold it together and take it apart. Keep everything turned the same way in relation to the housing except for the shifter itself. rotate it 180 and re-assemble. Takes the shifter from pointing back and to the passenger side to pointing forward more and toward the drivers side. It sat at a 15* angle in the camaro and by turning it 180 brings it back to a more normal relationship when installed in anything else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing that will help with the shifter on the T5 is to unbolt it from the tranny, unbend the tabs that hold it together and take it apart. Keep everything turned the same way in relation to the housing except for the shifter itself. rotate it 180 and re-assemble. Takes the shifter from pointing back and to the passenger side to pointing forward more and toward the drivers side. It sat at a 15* angle in the camaro and by turning it 180 brings it back to a more normal relationship when installed in anything else.

Your saying that even with it mounted the same way as it is in the camaro the shifter will be farther to the passenger side? wouldn't using he camaro bell housing keep it about the same in this car? Its going to be sitting at a 15* angle still.

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
turning it around will bring it forward and closer to you. It will also help with location versus sitting position in the larger vehicle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I went back today to double check on this tranny and the car is a 6 cylinder. Thinking I need to just get a T10 for it so it will just bolt right in. more money...less headache!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts