El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one have a Tach filter laying around, cant find the one i had,if you have one shoot me a pm,Thanks Fixitman ...
:texas::beer:

·
Registered
230 Posts
:dontknow:I have a stupid question but if you don't ask questions you don't learn but what the is a tach filter?:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
It's mounted on the engine side firewall, and is to smooth out the tach needle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you don't have that filter the tach does all kinds of wacky things. Mine was out for like 2 weeks and the tach would go backwards, roll over and start going around again. All kinds of insanity

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have one for a camaro, it will work but you will need to add a connector.the differance between a camaro one and an elco one is the camaro one plugs into the engine harness and the elco has a long lead that goes through the firewall into the car because all camaros came with a tach and elcos didnt. if you want it let me know. i can send you every thing needed to make it a sanitary swap to the camaro style. as long as you dont need the entire lead into the dash to convert a non tach car to a tach car. i dont have any pod connectors

·
Registered
80 Posts
Where does the tach filter wire to? I have installed a tach, it goes to 4,000 RPM, stays there most of the time and then jumps to around 6,000. When shut of it drops to the right. Start-up, it again moves to 4K. Will a tach filter solve this? I do not know if this tach came from a V-6 or V-8, but was the same 78-87 as I was told. I installed a separate wire back to the dash "coil' connection and thru the firewall to the distributor. What's wrong here? Thanks, Nick
[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts